2 starter solenoid in 1 year

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I had to replace my solenoid again. 2 times in 1 year. I just wonder could something be causing them to kapoot? I've used OEM each time.2010 lt x 1040

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it not engaging the solenoid to send power to the starter or is it burning out the high amp contacts. No much that can take out the engagement coil other than defects but high voltage, not likely, or something causing it to consume high amps. If the high amp contacts are burning out, then the starter could be going bad, or you have other things that is causing too high of an amp draw like improperly adjusted valves, compression release not working, or other parasitic load while trying to start.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know people like to believe that OEM is the best but In my opinion, it is no better than OE replacement stuff. In my opinion, some aftermarket stuff is better because they have to make a name for themselves so they produce a better product. Buying a crappy one even if OEM is not hard to do. Buying a good one, on the other hand, can be very hard.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have found in some case that if you are using a three post solenoid a bad solenoid body to ground connection will causing arcing in the trigger side of the solenoid, causing it to fail. I have gotten to the point where anytime I have a three wire solenoid I make up a ground wire and attach one end between the solenoid mounting bolt and the base, not between the base and chassis. The other end I attach to any good ground.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have found in some case that if you are using a three post solenoid a bad solenoid body to ground connection will causing arcing in the trigger side of the solenoid, causing it to fail. I have gotten to the point where anytime I have a three wire solenoid I make up a ground wire and attach one end between the solenoid mounting bolt and the base, not between the base and chassis. The other end I attach to any good ground.

Gave up fitting 3 terminal solenoids very early in the piece.
Only keep 4 post ones in stock, in 2 sizes, so much easier.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
AND each time before they go out, they start making a "Skreeeeeeek" or a loud high pitch humming noise every time you turn the key. I haven't had a problem since with the new on i just put on.