Comparison trying to decide need input from someone who knows

duane122000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / trying to decide need input from someone who knows
I am in the market for my first ZTR mower. I am now using a Husqvarna/Sears craftsman lawn tractor and hate it due to ride and speed and mow quality. I have been researching and almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these 2 mowers and was looking for some guidance. 1st one is a used 2016 Snapper Pro S200xt 61" deck with 27hp Kohler and it only has 6 hrs on it and as it should with that few of hrs it looks and runs brand new. I have driven and checked it but have not actually mowed with it but I believe I can pick it up in the $5200 to $5500 range. The other is a new 2018 Dixie Chopper Magnum 2450 50" deck with a 24 hp Kawasaki with and out the door price of around $5800. I am mowing a little less than 2 acres about once a week. I only have 1 tree and about 600' of fence to mow around but am afraid the 61" may be a larger deck than needed but like the fact that the Snapper Pro is a true commercial unit that will probably last the rest of my life but also like most of the reviews I have found on the DC. Looking for input. Thanks in advance for any given

Master Blaster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey now,
You know, I was in the same situation.

I mow a little over a half acre with lots of obstacles and have used two 42" tractors and, most recently, a 30" rear engine rider. All were difficult to steer and didn't turn around fast enough. Plus, when I wanted to slow down or reverse, I had to stop and change gears.

The nearest dealer to me handles Ariens and Snapper. I stopped in and, in a moment of wanting to make this decision and get it over with, purchased a new SPX-46 last week. They had it on sale for under $2,000.

OK, right after they delivered it I made a quick run to my mailbox, which is a block away. I like to mow one width to and from to keep the grass from going onto the pavement of the road and just look nicer coming to our house. I was impressed at how fast I could mow that rough of a grass. The 23 HP engine and three blades worked very well.

Yesterday I mowed my entire yard for the first time. What was taking well over an hour, took only about a half hour. And this is before I really have gotten that familiar with the mower.

I've never had this type of mower before. It has an electric blade engagement that is simple. It has two pedals, one for forward and one for reverse that work like car gas pedals so you can easily slow down or speed up as necessary.

And the steering? The handling is incredible and it turns almost as sharp as I've seen zero turn mowers turn.

I have a corner lot with a drainage ditch on two sides and mowing along the incline was also an issue. I was concerned but this one is just as stable as my others were.

I was hesitant about a zero turn because of having to get accustomed to the two handle steering. I have seen some with steering wheels though. Now, like I mentioned, I'm having to get accustomed to the foot pedals and other controls but that's nothing compared to getting used to handles.

Oh, and lastly, the cleanup... It has a deck washout and it really works!

OK, hope this was helpful.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey now,
You know, I was in the same situation.

I mow a little over a half acre with lots of obstacles and have used two 42" tractors and, most recently, a 30" rear engine rider. All were difficult to steer and didn't turn around fast enough. Plus, when I wanted to slow down or reverse, I had to stop and change gears.

The nearest dealer to me handles Ariens and Snapper. I stopped in and, in a moment of wanting to make this decision and get it over with, purchased a new SPX-46 last week. They had it on sale for under $2,000.

OK, right after they delivered it I made a quick run to my mailbox, which is a block away. I like to mow one width to and from to keep the grass from going onto the pavement of the road and just look nicer coming to our house. I was impressed at how fast I could mow that rough of a grass. The 23 HP engine and three blades worked very well.

Yesterday I mowed my entire yard for the first time. What was taking well over an hour, took only about a half hour. And this is before I really have gotten that familiar with the mower.

I've never had this type of mower before. It has an electric blade engagement that is simple. It has two pedals, one for forward and one for reverse that work like car gas pedals so you can easily slow down or speed up as necessary.

And the steering? The handling is incredible and it turns almost as sharp as I've seen zero turn mowers turn.

I have a corner lot with a drainage ditch on two sides and mowing along the incline was also an issue. I was concerned but this one is just as stable as my others were.

I was hesitant about a zero turn because of having to get accustomed to the two handle steering. I have seen some with steering wheels though. Now, like I mentioned, I'm having to get accustomed to the foot pedals and other controls but that's nothing compared to getting used to handles.

Oh, and lastly, the cleanup... It has a deck washout and it really works!

OK, hope this was helpful.

Zero turns are tough on the turf. Looks like a semi truck was making laps in your grass. You can drive the neighborhood and see who has a 0 turn.

slomo

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've tried out two ZT mowers, a basic Sears model and a commercial Cub Cadet. Just not for me. Maybe, probably, I'm just a klutz or something but I just couldn't get comfortable and relax while mowing. I'll stick with the tractor type, but I'd like to find a variable speed setup without the trash hydros that are out there these days. Bottom line, try out a Zero Turn (rent/borrow) before putting big money into one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've always preferred the older belt driven walk-behinds. I too dislike the hydro leaking going out mess. Belts are so much easier, lighter and less money to replace. Silly dropping a house down payment on a mower LOL.

slomo