Repairs LA 140 ??? HELP ..

cobra2181

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys .. Im kinda new so needed some help. I bought a John Deere la140 from a guy I knew it was a used mower but in great shape. low hours.. It needed a battery .. So i replaced the battery and engine would not Start..so replaced solenoid and engine fired right up smoothly.. Problem solved.. Well not so fast.. lol lol ... The blades would not engage so i checked power to the clutch and had good power clutch seemed a little old so i replaced the clutch. STILL no engagement. I noticed that the PTO switch plug had been cut off and spade connectors put on in place of.. So i replaced the PTO switch.. Still no help. But for some reason the engine will not turn over now. I broke the key trying to get it to start. So i replaced the Key switch also. STILL engine will not turn over. Replaced seat switch .. NO help.. replaced fuse.. No help.. I am looking for a wiring skematic to make sure the PTO switch is properly installed. But cant find the Schematic. Can anyone help me with this.? Or do you have any ideas on why my new PTO clutch will not engage ? ... Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys .. Im kinda new so needed some help. I bought a John Deere la140 from a guy I knew it was a used mower but in great shape. low hours.. It needed a battery .. So i replaced the battery and engine would not Start..so replaced solenoid and engine fired right up smoothly.. Problem solved.. Well not so fast.. lol lol ... The blades would not engage so i checked power to the clutch and had good power clutch seemed a little old so i replaced the clutch. STILL no engagement. I noticed that the PTO switch plug had been cut off and spade connectors put on in place of.. So i replaced the PTO switch.. Still no help. But for some reason the engine will not turn over now. I broke the key trying to get it to start. So i replaced the Key switch also. STILL engine will not turn over. Replaced seat switch .. NO help.. replaced fuse.. No help.. I am looking for a wiring skematic to make sure the PTO switch is properly installed. But cant find the Schematic. Can anyone help me with this.? Or do you have any ideas on why my new PTO clutch will not engage ? ... Thanks

Your story is confusing.

Will the mower start now or not?
If not that is the first problem.

cobra2181

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your story is confusing.

Will the mower start now or not?
If not that is the first problem.

Im sorry.. I was trying to make the story as short as possible.... NO it will not even turn over .. even after replacing the fuse.. that was bad..

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Im sorry.. I was trying to make the story as short as possible.... NO it will not even turn over .. even after replacing the fuse.. that was bad..

You have a mess now, It is hard to tell where to start.

maybe you wired the PTO wrong and the mower circuitry thinks the PTO is on...or it is on.
After you try to start the mower you better check the fuse again...it may be blown.

cobra2181

Forum Newbie
Threads

maybe you wired the PTO wrong and the mower circuitry thinks the PTO is on...or it is on.
After you try to start the mower you better check the fuse again...it may be blown.

A MESS ??? ... .OH MAN .. well i just put the wires back where they were taken off on the PTO .. but im not sure if they were in the right place to begin with.. I need a schematic for that PTO switch..

cobra2181

Forum Newbie
Threads

lol lol... HELP... OK.. PTO wired correctly.. Replaced seat switch.. ignition switch. . brake switch ..starter solenoid .. fuse.. starter relay.. PTO switch .. RTO checks good... If i jump the starter relay engine turns over ... BUT will NOT turn over with the key switch. Im at a loss .. ANY IDEAS ????

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
lol lol... HELP... OK.. PTO wired correctly.. Replaced seat switch.. ignition switch. . brake switch ..starter solenoid .. fuse.. starter relay.. PTO switch .. RTO checks good... If i jump the starter relay engine turns over ... BUT will NOT turn over with the key switch. Im at a loss .. ANY IDEAS ????

jumper key switch to see if it is bad.
Do you have 12v at the key switch?

cobra2181

Forum Newbie
Threads
jumper key switch to see if it is bad.
Do you have 12v at the key switch?

Yes.. everything is working lights .. clutch solenoid everything.. I just replaced the starter solenoid again to make sure it was good also. .. I called the local John Deere guys and talk to a mech in the shop.. and he also had no clue ... everything he suggested i had already done.. .. THIS IS A GOOD ONE.. for sure. ..I think it may be possible i have something grounding out the switch signal i just cant find it anywhere ..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John Deere have a habit of changing the wire colour at every switch which can make tracing a wiring fault real easy ( if you have the schematic ) or near impossible if you don't.
So pull the plug off the key switch, and jump the B ( battery ) and the S ( start ) terminals with a short jumper you will have to make.
Make a 1/2 dozen of them & keep them handy, about 2" to 4" long with male spade on each end plus a couple about 18" long also with a male spade at each end.

With the key switch jumped you are energizing the cranking circuit which will make testing easier as your 3rd hand can hold the beers.
Now pull the PTO switch plug.
If you have a manual one, check for 12V on one wire and jump it to the opposite wire ( FLAT SIDE not EDGE wise )
If it has an electronic PTO this is a bit more problematic as there may be 2 wires with power to them.
If there is no wire with power then you have found the problem, a broken wire between the key & PTO switches.
Do the same for the brake switch.
Usually JD also use a start relay so you might need to jump it or bypass it.

To be on the safe side, pull the kill wires from the magneto or just disconnect the engine gang plug that has the kill wire in it,
Doing things this way the engine will not start as there will be no power to the carb solenoid which is fine cause you are looking for a fault in the cranking circuit.
When working on a live circuit I like to use a test lamp rather than a meter

cobra2181

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere have a habit of changing the wire colour at every switch which can make tracing a wiring fault real easy ( if you have the schematic ) or near impossible if you don't.
So pull the plug off the key switch, and jump the B ( battery ) and the S ( start ) terminals with a short jumper you will have to make.
Make a 1/2 dozen of them & keep them handy, about 2" to 4" long with male spade on each end plus a couple about 18" long also with a male spade at each end.

With the key switch jumped you are energizing the cranking circuit which will make testing easier as your 3rd hand can hold the beers.
Now pull the PTO switch plug.
If you have a manual one, check for 12V on one wire and jump it to the opposite wire ( FLAT SIDE not EDGE wise )
If it has an electronic PTO this is a bit more problematic as there may be 2 wires with power to them.
If there is no wire with power then you have found the problem, a broken wire between the key & PTO switches.
Do the same for the brake switch.
Usually JD also use a start relay so you might need to jump it or bypass it.

To be on the safe side, pull the kill wires from the magneto or just disconnect the engine gang plug that has the kill wire in it,
Doing things this way the engine will not start as there will be no power to the carb solenoid which is fine cause you are looking for a fault in the cranking circuit.
When working on a live circuit I like to use a test lamp rather than a meter

THank you tried all of that .. nothing worked.. but GREAT NEWS to FOLLOW..