Anyone one heard of an RM7??

Rm7

Forum Newbie
Threads
A0366FED-C34B-4931-88E9-15D5AD7170B3.png

Hi there. Buying my first mower after purchasing my first house on a 1/2 acre lot. Can anyone give me some info on this mower I’m thinking of buying. It’s $200. Can’t find any info on it. It just says rm7 sears craftsman on it and the seller has no info besides it runs well. Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you looking to just pull a cart around or are you wanting to cut grass? That's a tractor, not a mower. There's no cutting deck on it!

Rm7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you looking to just pull a cart around or are you wanting to cut grass? That's a tractor, not a mower. There's no cutting deck on it!

Sorry, the deck was taken off and thrown away. I need it for both, i figured I could fined a used deck somewhere. If not, that’s ok. Looking for info on this rig. Know nothing about it and info on the net is almost none.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I'd pass on an old obsure "mower" that isn't capable of mowing and probably never will be. The chances of getting replacement parts, new or used, appears to be slim. Based on what I found online it was manufactured by Murray and had a 7hp Tecumseh engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At that price I would have bought it last week.
IT will be a tough little unit .
I takes a 28" 30" 32" or 34" Murray deck and you can usually find these all over the place.
With a 4 speed manual box & chain drive it is a unit that will last for centuries.
Just remember it is a TRACTOR with a continous mesh gear box so you select the gear you want to use while stationary then use the clutch to adjust your ground speed.
Any attempt to change gears while moving will demolish the box.
IT should have a 7000 series Peerless box in it and there are a lot of them around as well.

As Darly mentioned, service items will be fine but mower specific items like deck lift mechanism & hangers will be a "make your own item"
However the trailer is worth the asking price all by itself.

An elderly customer with the same mower ( locally branded ) had a 12 Hp engine fitted with an electric clutch because we could not get all the replacement parts his mower needed & he is happy as the proverbial pig in poo.
He had bought the mower new when they first moved onto the 5 acres and was reluctant to part with it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
With all due respect Bert, there's a difference between you and most people. Most people are not mechanics with a fully equipped shop and able to fabricate their own parts or retrofit a deck from another mower onto theirs.

primerbulb120

Threads
At that price I would have bought it last week.
IT will be a tough little unit .
I takes a 28" 30" 32" or 34" Murray deck and you can usually find these all over the place.
With a 4 speed manual box & chain drive it is a unit that will last for centuries.
Just remember it is a TRACTOR with a continous mesh gear box so you select the gear you want to use while stationary then use the clutch to adjust your ground speed.
Any attempt to change gears while moving will demolish the box.
IT should have a 7000 series Peerless box in it and there are a lot of them around as well.

As Darly mentioned, service items will be fine but mower specific items like deck lift mechanism & hangers will be a "make your own item"
However the trailer is worth the asking price all by itself.

An elderly customer with the same mower ( locally branded ) had a 12 Hp engine fitted with an electric clutch because we could not get all the replacement parts his mower needed & he is happy as the proverbial pig in poo.
He had bought the mower new when they first moved onto the 5 acres and was reluctant to part with it.

Unfortunately those older tractors are (usually) underappreciated over here. For the most part, they get sold cheap and thrown out when they break. :thumbdown:

primerbulb120

Threads
With all due respect Bert, there's a difference between you and most people. Most people are not mechanics with a fully equipped shop and able to fabricate their own parts or retrofit a deck from another mower onto theirs.

There are shops that can though. May not be as cheap as buying a new "disposable" lawn tractor, but it's cheaper than purchasing a new unit with the same level of quality that one has.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unfortunately those older tractors are (usually) underappreciated over here. For the most part, they get sold cheap and thrown out when they break. :thumbdown:

You are preaching to the choir with that one.
The Victa slashers in my profile are 1976 & 1984
The Rover rancher II's are 1966, 1967 & 1968 Each fitted with a different attachment to avoid having to change them
The White LT 120 is a baby at 1999 ( loan out mower )
The White GT 200 is 1998 ( loan out mower )

The other loan out mowers are all from the 70's & 80's
Again mechanical drives .
Coxes with cone clutches
Greenfields with cork lined fricton plates
Most are 7, 8 or 10 Hp with deck sizes from 24" to 36"
And I can cut a acre with an 8/30 faster than most can do it with a 20/42
And despite the old SV's being far less fuel efficient, the 8/30 uses about 1/2 the fuel that a 20/42 will.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

You flatter me greatly sir.
A hacksaw, drill & file are all the tools needed.
After that anything else is a luxury
The Cub design deck lift that MTD standardised on is a bolt on item.
After that it is just some flat bar with holes in the right places.
To get the motion from the height bar & the deck lifters some stainless balustrade wire, some bolt on cleats and heavy duty awning pulleys is all you need.
All the stuff you can get from the corner hardwear store.