John Deere Z225 starting problem

jrob8643

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a out of warranty Z225 zero turn mower that wouldn't crank, not even a click. After checking all the usual recommended reasons for a mower not starting, I finally discovered the problem after about 4 days of checking. It was a bad mini interlock relay. The primary 12vdc coil was burned out. The manufactures P/N was Omron G8V-1C7T-R-DC12. I could not find any mention of such a relay in my owners manual or any other internet data on the Z225. There is also located on the Z225 fuse block directly below the F1 20amp fuse, a fuse style diode D1 l>l, also not mentioned in any John Deere data available to the general consumer. This diode which allows current to flow in only one direction effects safety switches in the mower if not inserted the correct way. The manufactures P/N for the diode is GM-12135037.
I think it is outrageous that JD has chosen to be so secretive with their wiring diagrams and other data only to force customers, who paid good money for their products, to return to their dealers for service. Because my mower would not start I couldn't load it into my pickup to have it repaired by the dealer. With the lack of proper documentation available to the internet I had no idea of the cost of the mini interlock relay through John Deere. I purchased a new Omron G8V-1C7T-R-DC12 through eBay for $5.99 with free shipping. The Z225 started the 1st crank no thanks to John Deere.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wiring diagrams plus a very detailed description on how to test the wiring is in the technical manual, not hidden or secreted away right there for all to see who buy the manual which is available in paper , CD or digital download.
The decision not to put the diagrams in owners handbooks would have been a legal one as the system fails to off.
Thus no chance an idiot moron shaved monkey waving a stars & stripes in one hand & a shotgun in the other who is mentally challenged reading a super man comic can not injure himself by attempting to bypass the safety switches cause this proves he is a free man.

So if you want to throw tomatoes, aim at lawers who get massive pay outs for the afore mentioned idiot morons after they hurt themselves so they can go out and buy more flags, guns & beer

jrob8643

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was only attempting to pass on what finally got my mower to start, and maybe help someone else get their's to start. I thought that was the purpose of forums. I didn't have a technical manual, I am not in the repair business. I am a retired consumer. The relay and diode both simply bush into what I would call the fuse block. They both came new with my Z225 mower. My point was that the two "basically plug play" items that came on the machine should be explained in the owners manual same as the fuses. I don't see how a very likely chance of accidentally inserting the diode incorrectly into what is basically a fuse slot brought on all the legal aspect mentioned. If the diode falls out, is pulled out to check with a multi meter, or whatever. The mower will start if inserted incorrectly, but many of the safety features don't operate correctly. Talk about a manufacturer being open to a law suit if a consumer became injured as a result. I did not wish to bypass ANY of the mowers safety devices, in fact all the safety features on my mower are as they came form the factory and will stay that way. I only wanted to get my mower to start so I could mow the lawn. It was not the usual answer to why a mower won't start so I thought I would pass it along. This is my first time joining a forum, maybe my last. I have noticed from reading forums in the past that some people only want a pissing contest and completely loose track of the subject matter.

Attachments

• Z225 Fuse box.jpg
    Z225 Fuse box.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 85

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And your contribution is welcomed.
The diode was a much latter addition to the wiring so if JD intend to include it in the owners handbook it will probably come out in a latter edition or it might be there already & you were given an earlier copy by mistake.
Diode , JD part number RE180265 appears to be fitted to machines with serial numbers 120001 through to 1500000 according to the JD web parts catalogue .
GM-12135037 is a General Motors part number , so it is interesting that you found that one in your mower.
JD technical manuals are not written for technicians if they were they would be 200 pages shorter, they are written for owners who want to do their own maintenance.
When i sell a used JD always included is a copy of the manual , well both manuals to be honest and funny enough people pay a lot more for them when the manuals , which are freely available are part of the sale.

Technicians rarely need a wiring diagram because we know how mowers are wired and they are all wired the same more or less.
Owners are the ones who need them but if you search Seat Switch you will come across 25,000 refferences that the seat switch is part of the cranking circuit which is only the case with some Exmark, some Dixie Choppers & some Ferris ( from memory).
So from a makers point of view, only having wiring diagrams in service manuals makes good sense.

You stated that the information is not available which was the only reason for the subsequent post showing where the information is available.
The fact that you chose not to buy a technical manual for your machine and by prefferece you went looking for the information on the web was your decision.
The fact that you cared to share what you found with others is both a noble one on your behalf & appreciated.

jrob8643

Forum Newbie
Threads
As you from down under would say, thanks for the info "Mate". My Z225 has a DOM date of 051712. Not exactly a new machine. Never had any problem with it before except replaced the battery. The mower was sold through Lowe's home centers here in the US. The manufactures P/N on the items were all I had to go by. The interlock relay was a Omron G8V-1C7T-R-DC12 and the diode was manufactured by Gm #12135037. I was pretty sure JD had given them their own P/Ns, but I couldn't find any reference of them even being in my mower. I knew the relay was bad by introducing 12vdc across pins #85 & #86 (No click) and wouldn't make continuity between #30 & #87. I looked up the Omron P/N on eBay, they had them for $5.99 usd each, with free shipping. When the relay arrived I pushed it into its socket and the mower started 1st crank. I had the diode out testing it with a multi meter and it was OK. I must have accidentally pushed the diode back into it socket the wrong way. The mower would start with the brake off , also it would with the PTO switch on, the safeties were not doing their job. I realized that I must have installed the diode backwards and turned it over and everything started working fine. I rebuilt my 1981 (34 years old) Johnson 70 HP outboard 3 years ago and had less problems finding info than for a 2012 John Deere mower.
I had checked just about everything in the system and it still would not crank. Then I investigated the relay and it was the problem. Maybe that relay never goes bad, but mine did.
Thank you again for your reply,
jrob8643

Ross33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forum Newbie- Thanks for the helpful hint that was contained in your troubleshooting (and rant). My goats have been climbing on my Z225 and this morning, it would not start. I noticed that they had knocked the fusebox cover off and I thought that maybe one of the fuses was broken. Then I read your text about the undocumented relay and eventually, I found it on the chassis. Stupid goats. I replaced the relay and the mower started right up! By the way, I agree with your rants and sympathize with the aggravations that you had. I have to go mow.

TTJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for sharing the info