Snapper 28

Cornman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I just purchased a what I believe to be later model 28" rear rider. This is to replace the Snapper 21 walk behind that has served me for decades. When doing a once over and changing the oil I noticed that the rear wheel hub cap on the left side was clean as can be and the right side was full of grease. I believe this is the side with the transfer case and was wondering if this is normal as part of the lubrication process. It does look to be heavy grease and not the 00 stuff. Or is this a typical seal failure. Found two grease fittings on the front wheels, any other ones hidden that I should know about. Thanks, and I look forward to reading here as much as possible.

gvanek

Threads
There will be a zerk on the right rear bushing (standing on end), one on each front wheel. Older machines have one on the blade spindle under the cutting deck.

There is no zerk on the differential side of the rear axle. It's designed to be lubricated by the heavy "oil" in the gear box.

I think that's it.

Cornman

Forum Newbie
Threads
There will be a zerk on the right rear bushing (standing on end), one on each front wheel. Older machines have one on the blade spindle under the cutting deck.

There is no zerk on the differential side of the rear axle. It's designed to be lubricated by the heavy "oil" in the gear box.

I think that's it.

Great, thank you

deriter

Threads
You know, I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago. I kept reading about how simple the old Snapper Rear Engine Riders were and how they ran and ran without few problems. So I found one on craigslist and bought it. Its is a 1989 manufacture but very well taken care of.

Well I guess the jury is still out on it for me. It mows good, but the turning radius is pretty large. For those spots where you try to trim, even in first gear it seems like it is a little fast. I don't know if I slow the throttle down if that would help in those spots and still cut the grass? I guess I am spoiled with the hydrastat transmisson. But I do like the 28" width of cut for my small yard. I have only used it once, so hoping it will grow on me.

gvanek

Threads
deriter, if it's a 28', the cutting width is narrower than the wheel base. So, "edging" may be a bit more difficult, no matter what speed. I still use my push snapper and line trimmer to get the tight spots.

Also, the turning radius IS very wide on these machines. Nothing to be done about that.

deriter

Threads
I guess I did not notice that the blade width is less that the track of the tires. Just figured it was about the same. But in order to get to ride, I have one area that this width is what is needed. I always over lap the cut when mowing so I did not notice any problem with mowing and leaving strips. The problem I had was when trying to get close to something, it seemed like I was going too fast, even in 1st gear. I'm guessing its the difference between gear drive and hydrastat. But I still like the less complicated machine.

What I have been using is a John Deere 425. Its old and not very pleasing to the eye, but runs fairly well. But I know it is going to have problems down the road sometime. Power steering, hydrastat, and liquid cooled. Bound to be something to go wrong. So this snapper is what I would like to use. I also have a toro self propelled that I use when its not hot and my hips are good.

We shall see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cornman

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have been using this Snapper 28 for a little bit now and it is different in some ways and sort of pleasing in others. Just for the record I have used a Craftsman 42 a little older model and a brand new Husqvarna 42. All of which I thought were decent machines and the new Husky was great. For my small yard the Snapper is fine and runs good and cuts fine. I believe the small single blade cutting is much more accurate in my unlevel yard than all the rest. What takes getting used to is the rear engine grab on a hill with a light front end will pull up the front and give you some white knuckles on occasion. The turning under power is also sketchy when the front tires are not grabbing anything. Again for a small yard this machine is fine.

deriter

Threads
Comman, I too like the way the snapper cuts my yard. It is not nimble in tight spaces, but the lawn looks good after mowing. Like gvanek said, I'll have to use the string trimmer and trim mower more often.

I am wondering about the leaves this fall. I have been mulching them with another mower (JD 425). With the Snapper, I think I will just mow the leaves a couple passes and then maybe finish mulching them in with my Toro Super Cycler. I have Sycamore trees across the street to the north of me, so I get an abundance of these. They are like dinner plate size. We'll see if this works. I have trouble getting the toro high enough to go over the leaves so we will see if the snapper is up to it. I don't see an easy way to make the snapper mulch. If you make enough passes you can cut the leaves into pretty small pieces but the mulching is better.