Repairs cub cadet LTX-1042KW

alrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
good evening. I am having a problem removing the forward idler pulley for the tractor drive belt. the other two come off easily. the forward one even after the bolt is backed right off there is no way it drops down. thanks in advance.

alrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
no. it just won't drop down. nothing in the way and I don't want to force it and break something. I will look at the picture and see if it helps. thanks for the help.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oh and do you mean the front pulley as in the one on the crankshaft?

alrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
no not the engine. there is a pulley on the trans, one on the engine and three idler pulleys. it is the forward idler pulley.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
no not the engine. there is a pulley on the trans, one on the engine and three idler pulleys. it is the forward idler pulley.

I am having trouble figuring out what it is bolted to....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fixed idler can come off with the bolt in it as it is bolted to the frame.
The mounting bolts rust solid into the bearing so take it off, support the whole lot with a socket then tap the threaded end and the bolt will slip off.
When you have it completely out wire brush then grease the bolt or replace it

If you have another pair of hands handy it helps as the nut & washer is difficult to get at.

I seal off the fuel tank then remove the battery so this style of mower can be stood upright when doing primary drive work.
Not being a cow a face full of dry grass & dirt is worth avoiding.

alrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes that is the setup. nut number 13 is not visible. it seems to be between two plates. It would seem that the nut should be welded to the frame and then it would drop out like the other two idlers. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Al

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some will have a hole in the floor so you can get a socket on the head while others will need an open ender slid in between the plates.
The pulley is a service replacement part and designed to be replaced without pulling the whole tractor apart.