FRUSTRATED dealer problems (valve seats)

mrrrkva

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am NEW to Dixie chopper. BUt after some research I wanted the "fast" one. I found a 72" xt3200 with only 400 hours. It ran well, I cut 5 acres QUICKLY. Dixie chopper dealer talked me into a full service to look her over. Quoted me about $300................. Well $950 later, this is what he did...... Changed Motor oil, and hydraulic fluid, 2 hydraulic filters, engine filter and amsoil bypass filter. I told him NOT to sharpen blades............. he REPLACED them.... (kinda mad) still mowing a rock field..... He did replace 2 deck pulleys...... I had ONE front tire going down and he RELPACED both...... WHY??? He did grease all the fittings.... HE DIDNT Replace the GAS filter. He adjusted valves and replaced the 2 spark plugs. Keep in mind it ran GREAT I got it back... It ran for 6 minutes........ had NO power.... barely made it up hills that it BLEW by before I took it in............. Took it back.... he is saying the valve seats are bad. And now I need new cylinder head. My questions....... if he adjusted the valves incorrectly, did this cause the valve seats to fail? And would it take 6 hours to do the service I listed above..... and would you guys do BOTH cylinder heads while I am in there. I LOVED this mower BEFORE I took it into him.......... I should of serviced it myself. More info it is the generac 32 hp. made in 2004.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the quoted time is more than reasonable for the work done.
And the work done is not unreasonable for a 2nd hand mower of unknown history.

If the engine is running at full speed I would suggest he has not purged all of the air out of the hydraulic system.

And no, valve adjustments do not cause valve seats to fail.
Valve seats fail for one reason & one reason only ,,,,,, overheating.
Overheating is only caused by lack of airflow around the engine, excessive time on low idle or running way too lean.

Either the work was being done by an unsupervised apprentice or the dealer is totally incompetant or you are being taken for a ride.

When valve seats go the engine usually won't start and if it does start it will run very rough, backfiring through the carburettor or muffler.
I don't think you can even get Generac heads any more they have not made Generac engines for quite some time.

If you know which end of a screwdriver does the work, bring it back and we will walk you through diagnosing & repairing your mower.
If you are a moral principles type of person you could make a claim against the dealer but they usually end up bad.
However I would be inclined to make a complaint to Dixie directly suggesting the dealer is doing bad work and cheapening the brand.
If the dealer is a rat bag, enough complaints and Dixie will pull his franchise.

Occasionally a mower company will send a rep to check your mower or send it to a known good dealer for a second opinion but as it is quite an old mower I doubt they would do it , but it will only cost a stamp ( letters work better than emails ) to find out.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wild guess depending on engine type, they didn't get the rocker arm nuts tightened correctly, backed off and lost valve action, or dropped a push rod.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the valves are adjusted too tight, it could lose power when it heats up, cause the valves are not seating fully.

Dealer also should have removed the blower housing to inspect for any debris in the cylinder fins & engine + clean around the coil contacts.