Carb adjustment on Echo trimmer & blower (Home Depot models)

Daryl K

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Carb adjustment on Echo trimmer & blower (Home Depot models)
Any suggestions or "how tos" on adjusting the carb on these? Everything I look up is a "how to" on removing the brass plug covering the set screw, which I have already done (on both).

Both run OK when hot but are tough starting and will not idle when cold. Googling around some sites referred to the carb screw as an idle adjustment, but I cannot detect any difference turning it from one extreme to the other while idling. I can hear a distinct change under full throttle, and have tweaked it midway several times, but it seems to have minimal impact on the starting / cold idle situation. The spark plug, fuel filter and air filter are all new this season.

I did read a few threads on cleaning the breather cap and spark arrestor, and plan on doing that today, but still want to make sure the carb adjustment is as good as can be.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome to the wonderful world of EPA tier IV engines.
Because they are all set to run so lean, none will idle much till they warm up but they should warm in very quickly.

As to your particular carb, a carb brand and model number would be very helpful

AnthemBassMan

Threads
If you have the SRM225 or similar from HD, Echo kind of went out of their way to make it more difficult to adjust the carb. You’ll have to take the air filter cover and filter off. Remove the two T25 screws that hold the filter base. Those also hold the carb to the engine. Pull the carb off and remove the four small screws that hold the primer bulb assembly to the carb. When you got that off, there will be one more screw to remove. You can actually see it through the primer bulb while it’s still on the carb. Beneath the primer assembly, there is a small brass plug. Drill a small hole in it then thread a screw into that hole. Get a pair of pliers and pop the plug out. There’s where you’ll find the adjustment screw. Put everything back together and get your trimmer started. The screw head will be accessible below the primer bulb. They sure didn’t make it as easy as my CS370 saw where I just had to use a drywall screw to pull the plastic limiter caps off to get full range.

L8R,
Matt

Jason1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The idle adjustment screw is usually on top of the carburetor depending on the model, or you could just buy a new carburetor and switch it out.

trekgod3

Threads
Easiest thing to do is by a Chinese replacement carb on eBay for under $10. They don't come with plugs installed. I've replaced almost all the carbs on my Echo equipment with eBay carbs and they run great . Haven't had any issues and you don't have to mess with pulling the carb plugs out because they don't have any.

bogdaN

Threads
One more thing I like to bring it.that little adjusting screw need to be removed,because it is plug-up.Have one opening across and very small going up horizontal ---clean that good and let us know.Dan

mikehouse

Threads
I would check out "Steve's Small Engine Saloon" (adjusting the carb properly) on Youtube.Good stuff.