My reel mower cuts like a pair of scissors

woolyhead

Threads
Hello. Here I go again, picking on the words people use. But there is truth in what I have to say. Reel mower blade action is not like that of a pair if scissors. Forgetting about the helical form of the mower's blades, the cutting edge of the fixed blade is ground against the corresponding edges of the rotary blades to form a cutting point that moves along the fixed blade as the rotor turns. With scissors the cutting edges are not ground to fit together in this way. It is their backing edges that are ground and the corresponding edges of a reel mower are not ground. To see this for yourself just look carefully at a pair of scissors and you'll see what I mean. Why do I mention it? Well several people have said they are experimenting with how to grind their reel mower blades and I thought to make them aware of where to be careful. Also some people keep saying "it cuts like a pair of scissors." This is very misleading.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello. Here I go again, picking on the words people use. But there is truth in what I have to say. Reel mower blade action is not like that of a pair if scissors. Forgetting about the helical form of the mower's blades, the cutting edge of the fixed blade is ground against the corresponding edges of the rotary blades to form a cutting point that moves along the fixed blade as the rotor turns. With scissors the cutting edges are not ground to fit together in this way. It is their backing edges that are ground and the corresponding edges of a reel mower are not ground. To see this for yourself just look carefully at a pair of scissors and you'll see what I mean. Why do I mention it? Well several people have said they are experimenting with how to grind their reel mower blades and I thought to make them aware of where to be careful. Also some people keep saying "it cuts like a pair of scissors." This is very misleading.

Your thread header contradicts your story posted.

"My reel mower cuts like a pair of scissors"

woolyhead

Threads
Your thread header contradicts your story posted.

"My reel mower cuts like a pair of scissors"
Yes, I know. It was meant to. I'm glad you understand. My heading was a typical quote from erroneous claims I've seen.