blown spark plugs

ruff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I have a 12hp tecumseh OV engine in my MTD ride on mower. I have no idea what the engine number is as the plate has been damaged. I wasn’t getting a spark so I changed the spark plug and it started first time but only ran for approx. 10min. After a lot of checks I found that the plug was defective and replaced it. The second plug only lasted for approx. 5min. and when checked that too was defective. Could a bad ignition module be blowing the plugs?

ruff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
The plug is an NGK so a good quality one.. Both plugs were tested using a multi meter.

ruff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
No, but as they both worked I didn't think there was a problem.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,
No, but as they both worked I didn't think there was a problem.

Since you said "no"
How do you know the reading is different from a new one?
Test a new one and see...I suspect the reading will be the same.
Test an old used one laying around.

Can't imagine a spark plug would be destroyed internally before something else burnt up.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm thinking coil myself, BUT without the eng. Model # you'll play hell getting a replacement part .. :thumbdown:

ccheatha

Threads
So in the blown plugs, what condition are the electrodes in? Do they appear to be shortened beyond sparking anymore?

ruff

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, there is no heat damage at all.

ccheatha

Threads
Hmmm... now that IS interesting. I'd go with Boobala's line of thinking on the coil, since that's where it's likely being fed. If you can go ahead and remove the blower housing, etc. and remove it, you should be able to take it around to local repair shops (I would think) to get help on finding a replacement. When you say the plate has been damaged, you're referring to the one under the seat, correct?