QUestion about transmatic drive/transmission etc

2stroke1971

Threads
Here are some pics, the pulley, the bolt and the mower as it sat when I first brought it home

2stroke1971

Threads
I got my new pulley in. The " key " so to speak, is built into the pulley. You can see a depression on the outside od the pulley where the key was pressed so you get a vaguely key shaped protrusion that slides into the shaft's slot. The original pulleyis also like this though the ' key ' is wiped away. The area on my shaft where this key winds up is dinged out pretty bad which makes it sloppy when installed. Disappointing really, if it was a real key..... if there was a real slot in the pulley i could cut a full length key that would engage the shaft for the whole length and that damaged area would not matter. What ive opted to do is add 2 set screws to the pulley which will bite into the shafts slotted area. That should help keep it stable.

Still got to get it back together.

2stroke1971

Threads
I got it together today and tried it out. Terrible noise coming from one of the blade pulleys, i guess the bearing is bad on that side. I cut the front lawn anyway until it starting getting tight and was dragging the engine down. Released the blades and it ran better again. Still think the carb is flooding here and there even though i a new needle and seat in.
It ran well overall, the transmission worked good, it drives nice. Cuts fairly well also.
Im jumping it from a car battery right now, but at this point i feel ok buying a battery for it. Sometimes the starter is a bit funny, but we'll see how it goes.
Now have to rebuild the one spindle.
Thanks again, I'll keep it updated.
https://beta-static.photobucket.com...riginal.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got it together today and tried it out. Terrible noise coming from one of the blade pulleys, i guess the bearing is bad on that side. I cut the front lawn anyway until it starting getting tight and was dragging the engine down. Released the blades and it ran better again. Still think the carb is flooding here and there even though i a new needle and seat in.
It ran well overall, the transmission worked good, it drives nice. Cuts fairly well also.
Im jumping it from a car battery right now, but at this point i feel ok buying a battery for it. Sometimes the starter is a bit funny, but we'll see how it goes.
Now have to rebuild the one spindle.
Thanks again, I'll keep it updated.
https://beta-static.photobucket.com...riginal.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Looks almost new under there ?? .. :thumbsup:

2stroke1971

Threads
I rebuilt the spindles, replaced the belt there while I was at it. Coming together nicely! Cuts really well.
Smokes a little on startup for about 3 minutes tho--made another thread about that.