Lawn Boy 10550 to 10552 w/Electric Start Option REDUX!

msupercharger

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawn Boy 10550 to 10552 w/Electric Start Option REDUX!
I moved this thread over here where it belongs...Any of you heard of, or seen this conversion done? I got really lucky and got all the parts together (have spares too including starter w/mounting bracket,alternators,2 or 3 electronics cup packs and flywheel brake assemblies,all of it except the battery.I will get that based on what will fit the box.I forgot to check the exhaust side of the block to see if the drilled post is there for the starter pin to anchor into.The molded block is there in the correct spot on the muffler plate for the lower starter anchor bracket,it is just not drilled or tapped for the anchor bolt itself.I sat I forgot to look because the mower is at the Service Dealer at present for carburetor cleaning and kit and I don't have the time or proper tools for this attempted conversion.Luckily I have my 10682 Insight as a standby:tongue:

Would love to see your comments and or suggestions! I am going nuts waiting to hear from the Dealer:confused2:
Mike

msupercharger

Forum Newbie
Threads
P.S. The block IS correctly tapped for the flywheel brake/alternator bracket to bolt on,I just have to dremel the engine cover a bit to clear this assembly once bolted in place...

javjacob

Threads
Why would you want to add electric start? It was the most pointless thing Lawn Boy ever did and all it does is add weight and complexity. Electric start Lawn Boys are worth a fraction of non electric start models because nobody wants them.

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
^^ I didn't really know about starter model vs non-starter model values in Lawn-Boys, but I had the same thought along the lines as this above - Just, why?
I can see the dealers loving it back in the day though, another 'option' to add on money to the grand total.
I picked up a freebie off a curb (actually beat someone to one!) and it was an F model with a starter. Probably partially why it was at the curb, lol.
Pretty much as stated though, extra weight and complexity. Crap a guy doesn't really need on a well maintained mower IMO.
I mean if that's what ya' want though, more power to ya! I myself prefer less weight and the pull of a cord. Makes a person feel a little more 'connected' with the mower I guess. Maybe that's just me? Haha.

nitehawk55

Threads
As easy as most Lawn Boys will start I think that if someone requires electric start then they likely aren't able to cut the grass either !!

Not making fun at you OP , the electric start was sort of a one up on the "hey ! look at what I have" to the fellow next door....hahaha ! :cool:

2smoked

Threads
Why would you want to add electric start? It was the most pointless thing Lawn Boy ever did and all it does is add weight and complexity. Electric start Lawn Boys are worth a fraction of non electric start models because nobody wants them.

I can think of a reason for wanting electric start. There are people who have weakness in the arms and shoulders but are still able to maneuver a push lawn mower. I know an elderly gentleman who gave up gardening because he could not pull the starter on his tiller with enough speed to start it. The same was true with his lawn mower.

msupercharger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can think of a reason for wanting electric start. There are people who have weakness in the arms and shoulders but are still able to maneuver a push lawn mower. I know an elderly gentleman who gave up gardening because he could not pull the starter on his tiller with enough speed to start it. The same was true with his lawn mower.

OK,So here it is...I can still easily start this mower by pull rope.It is back from the Dealer now and after carb rebuild(got the fatter idle jet)it runs strong,starts on 1st or 2nd pull as before,and now idles like a dirt bike with no Lawn Boy "surge".I did not have the conversion done at this time.Here's why.The 10552 has the lower starter mount block already drilled for the attachment bolt.My 10550 muffler plate is identical except the mount block is not drilled.The other exception is the engine block itself.Where the starter pin would fit into a pre-drilled hole in the engine block,mine only has the molded spot there,not drilled out.The hole for the setscrew that locks the pin is there.It goes in at a 90 to the starter pin and locks the starter at the top.It simply has to be drilled at the top.The engine block is tapped on the opposite side for the alternator/flywheel brake assembly to bolt right on.The ONLY difference therefore with these two models was the 3 extra machining steps done to the blocks and muffler plates during the manufacturing process.I am sure there were more Model 10550 produced the 10552.I simply desire to have the ultimate "Cadillac" Lawn Boy model ever produced.Mine is a 2004 with mid production S/N.I just got a Tecumseh LV195EA short block for the 10682.I will swap the engine in a couple weeks,and plan to alternate between the 2 to finish the season.The 10550 is much more complex and heavier,and yes the electric start conversion will add 8 or 9 lbs to it.I will do the conversion as a winter project(the motor has to come off the deck)so to each his own.Let's Rock 8>)

javjacob

Threads
Why not just look for a 10552? They pop up on craigslist and facebook market place. Just be patient

javjacob

Threads
The electric start engines are completely different and so are lots of other parts as you have realized and some you probably haven't realized yet.