Kohler Over Revving

rrodger9

Threads
I have a Kohler K-181 that had and over rev condition that I recently worked through and discovered that the governor gear had become unpinned and broke. I had the gear replaced and also rebuilt the carb just because it hadn't ever been done and the owner has a bad habit of running ethanol gas through his machines. Got it all back together and expected it to run fine but it refused to start. Turns out the cover over the points had a pin hole in the rubber grommet that protected the wire that leads in. It was grounded out and once the cover was removed, it started right up but was impossible to get set as opening the throttle produced an over rev. I was finally able to get it running but at almost full speed with the throttle set to minimum. in fact he was able to cut with it that way but had issues under a big load like cutting and going uphill at the same time. He said that the points eventually closed and the motor died and once he started messing with the points, it ran better.

I was convinced it was the carb again. It has been close to 35 years since I messed with a set of points. If they are off would that produce the over rev? I am pretty sure they were set and it's sorta hard to diagnose when the owner keeps messing with other systems. There was also the issue in that it has been close to 6 years since I took it apart. I got sidelined by a stroke and have just gotten back to it. I forgot how the throttle disc was set up so I went by pictures I was able to find on the internet and the Kohler service manual. I am pretty sure I have it right and have attached a few pictures for anyone to chime in on if I haven't. So far I have gotten a huge amount of help here and I really want to get this nightmare fixed and out of my life forever. It is a 1974 B-80.
20180725_194257.jpg20180725_194306.jpg20180725_194327.jpg