Riding mower blade question

woody1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a several year old Husqvarna YTH22V42. Most of the time I've used a mulching type blade but I finally realize that the parts list for this model shows several blade types. One is listed as Hi-Lift (For bagging and discharge). So my question for y'all ... Is there really a significant difference in the bagging capability between blade types? Thanks in advance and best regards, Woody

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, a very big difference. When you include aftermarket blades there is even more difference. We just helped someone who was having clogging issues with the factory 2 n 1 blades. Found him some real high lift blades (aftermarket) and his problem went away.

woody1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I guess no one else has an opinion on this? Or is it a stupid question? Mebe the question is, which is best for bagging a high lift blade or a mulching blade? Regards, Woody

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
A mulching blade cuts the recuts the recuts the grass till it is too small and falls to the ground. Hi-lift blades cut it then lift and through it out. So Hi-lifts are best for bagging. No such thing as a stupid question. I am guessing the reason no one else has answered is they are helping people with broken mowers. That normally comes first in the hierarchies of this site. I am just a rebel and answer whatever I want.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

woody1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I'd never thought about it before just assuming (yeah, I know) that both types of blades would throw it out OK if the chute was open as in not plugged with the mulching plate. I guess I'll be in the market for some super hi lifts also. Thanks and regards, Woody

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ditto that high lift blades will bag better, but too much air from the blades can cause clippings to blow out the right front corner of the deck. This can result in something ranging between a minor annoyance to an "I can't deal with this" scenario.

stevestd

Threads
Mulching blades also come in high lift, and smaller clippings will mean the bag will hold more. Different deck designs, blade types and mowing conditions will affect the results.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also be aware that too much lift for a particular deck can cause the clippings to stick and clump to the underside of the deck causing the deck to clog.