Walk behind Snapper P21507BE self propel problems

johnwill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had this snapper since about 1993 My grandmother purchased new around 1988-90 However the clutch disc will no longer pull of the motor on any kind incline It will just stop I replaced the belt a couple years back and it never pulled right after that (the belt is installed right) Before I go thru doing the belt again what is the main cause of this problem Right now the the Idler pulley is all the way up as far it will go But never had a lot of tension from the belt change Worn motor pulley? Worn clutch disc? bad idler pulley?

I suspect the clutch disc pulley But want some input
By the way it has a million miles on it 3 set of back wheels,5 transmission belts, one motor disc belt Original engine, 28 Plus years of use weekly user up till 2005
when new snapper walk behind took over part of it duties

gvanek

Threads
Hey John. My local guy gave me a newer type drive belt that eliminates the need for the idler pully. You may want to give that a try. It's more elastic than the older type.

Also, that drive disk may have worn/rusted over the years...probably at the bearing area where it mounts to the deck. I'd give that a good look. It's kinda goofy to replace it...the way the mounting bolt/nut installs, but you'll figure it out..

Let me know how this works out.

wingless

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

It may be useful to disassemble the mechanism for inspection, followed by service and potential part replacement.

That drive disc is retained by a center axle bolt, w/ a flat screwdriver slot on the tip, plus a nut.

On mine, the rotation of the disc on the axle shaft was not smooth. I got acceptable feel by packing the internal (inaccessible) bearing w/ wheel bearing grease.

Other possible issues are a worn driven disc, w/ the perimeter rubber worn away, worn / weak springs, crud in the belt pulley, worn belts, worn idler pulleys or a worn actuator spring.

The easy way to work the problem is to start the machine and see what is spinning or not, then repeat when the drive lever is activated. If that process is used, then it might need to be repeated because of several problems.

36376841885_020fd697c2_b.jpg

johnwill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey do you have a part number for the belt? John