cub cadet electrical problems

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 54 inch cub riding mower. cannot figure out what is wrong. I am getting no power to start. I have replaced solenoid and the starter and have new battery. I cannot even get the solenoid to cross with a screw driver to get power. I have checked the fuse and it is good. any suggestions would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK your mower won't start
And it is branded Cub Cadet
The Deck is 54" which has nothing to do with anything but thanks for sharing
So that narrows it down to around 300 combinations of mowers & engines.

Can you please provide the model number of your cub and the make & model of the engine.
Funny enough the different engines are wired differently .
It sort of makes it next to impossible to offer you any assistance when all we have to go on are the words you typed on the screen

Thus the only thing I can tell is you impulsively went out and paid a lot of money to replace a starter which you did not bother to test and then even more of a solenoid so I will hazard a guess you have a briggs engine cause most of the Kohler & Kawasakis use piggy back solenoids, although it could be an Onan if the mower is old enough.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK your mower won't start
And it is branded Cub Cadet
The Deck is 54" which has nothing to do with anything but thanks for sharing
So that narrows it down to around 300 combinations of mowers & engines.

Can you please provide the model number of your cub and the make & model of the engine.
Funny enough the different engines are wired differently .
It sort of makes it next to impossible to offer you any assistance when all we have to go on are the words you typed on the screen

Thus the only thing I can tell is you impulsively went out and paid a lot of money to replace a starter which you did not bother to test and then even more of a solenoid so I will hazard a guess you have a briggs engine cause most of the Kohler & Kawasakis use piggy back solenoids, although it could be an Onan if the mower is old enough.

Seems the battery would have been the first to replace.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have a 54 inch cub riding mower. cannot figure out what is wrong. I am getting no power to start. I have replaced solenoid and the starter and have new battery. I cannot even get the solenoid to cross with a screw driver to get power. I have checked the fuse and it is good. any suggestions would be appreciated.

You have the big red wire from a good,charged battery going to one of the big terminals on the solenoid?
The starter is grounded to the engine?

Jumping across the two large solenoids nuts WILL engage a good starter.
You have just bypassed the solenoid and put the battery power straight to the starter.

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
model number
17ARCACA009

Serial number
1H214H10083
KOHLER ENGINE

I will have to go back up and get the infor on the engine. starter was tested and showed bad so i ordered a new one and replaced. in the area i live in it is impossible to find mechanics. i was a previous store manager with TSC and even then we had to ship our mowers to Tennessee to get worked on and people would be without them for months. my closest mechanic for cub would be 80 miles away and with then wanting to charge 85 dollars a hour would like to avoid that. the starter was taken off and tested and was broke in pieces when it was taken off. thank you for your help with this. will reply when i can get infor on the engine.

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have the big red wire from a good,charged battery going to one of the big terminals on the solenoid?
The starter is grounded to the engine?

Jumping across the two large solenoids nuts WILL engage a good starter.
You have just bypassed the solenoid and put the battery power straight to the starter.

thank you. i tried this and it would not start. made sure the battery was good by taking the battery from the good mower and it didn't work. i have replaced solenoid and starter and the fuse is good. still dead as a hammer. have traced wires back to look for any breaks or bad connections. have not found anything yet. it has not worked since last fall. dad was using it and ran it out of gas in the middle of the yard. pushed it in the shed and has not started back since.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you. i tried this and it would not start. made sure the battery was good by taking the battery from the good mower and it didn't work. i have replaced solenoid and starter and the fuse is good. still dead as a hammer. have traced wires back to look for any breaks or bad connections. have not found anything yet. it has not worked since last fall. dad was using it and ran it out of gas in the middle of the yard. pushed it in the shed and has not started back since.

What do you mean by "would not start?
You have been implying that the motor was not turning over with the starter.

If you put 12 volt power right on the big nut(the one that has the wire from the solenoid) of a good, grounded starter the engine will be turning over... be cranking...
...trying to start

Is that the case? or nothing happens?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just out of curiosity, remove the spark-plug and try to rotate the flywheel screen by hand, if no can do, engine is seized or something is stopping rotation, needs further diagnosis..