cub cadet electrical problems

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK your mower won't start
And it is branded Cub Cadet
The Deck is 54" which has nothing to do with anything but thanks for sharing
So that narrows it down to around 300 combinations of mowers & engines.

Can you please provide the model number of your cub and the make & model of the engine.
Funny enough the different engines are wired differently .
It sort of makes it next to impossible to offer you any assistance when all we have to go on are the words you typed on the screen

Thus the only thing I can tell is you impulsively went out and paid a lot of money to replace a starter which you did not bother to test and then even more of a solenoid so I will hazard a guess you have a briggs engine cause most of the Kohler & Kawasakis use piggy back solenoids, although it could be an Onan if the mower is old enough.

serial number on engine is
kohler

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you mean by "would not start?
You have been implying that the motor was not turning over with the starter.

If you put 12 volt power right on the big nut(the one that has the wire from the solenoid) of a good, grounded starter the engine will be turning over... be cranking...
...trying to start

Is that the case? or nothing happens?

nothing. when you do what you say nothing happens. no turning over so sound no attempt to try just complete silence.

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just out of curiosity, remove the spark-plug and try to rotate the flywheel screen by hand, if no can do, engine is seized or something is stopping rotation, needs further diagnosis..

thank you. i will attempt this in the morning.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The heavy red wire that goes from the battery to the solenoid will have a 2dn thin wire coming off the terminal.
Follow that wire and you will find a fuse, replace it regardless of weather it looks good or not.
when you turn the key to on you should hear a feint click which is the solenoid under the carb.
When you turn the key off it will click again.
some times you need to put your finger on it and feel the solenoid turning on & off.
If this is not happening either there is no power to the key switch ( fuse ? ) or the key switch is bad.

Remember that electricity starts at the battery and goes back to the battery so if the ground contacts are dirty loose or corroded nothing is going to work properly.

chada

Forum Newbie
Threads
The heavy red wire that goes from the battery to the solenoid will have a 2dn thin wire coming off the terminal.
Follow that wire and you will find a fuse, replace it regardless of weather it looks good or not.
when you turn the key to on you should hear a feint click which is the solenoid under the carb.
When you turn the key off it will click again.
some times you need to put your finger on it and feel the solenoid turning on & off.
If this is not happening either there is no power to the key switch ( fuse ? ) or the key switch is bad.

Remember that electricity starts at the battery and goes back to the battery so if the ground contacts are dirty loose or corroded nothing is going to work properly.

thank you

pollishpickle

Threads
That sounds just like my old Cub Tank The safety linkage was bent and would not engage the safety switch. I bent 6 linkages they even doubled up the linkage and still it would bend them The dealer even bent a new one that they replaced. I finally got Cub to lemon it out