anyone can tell me how to wire up a command cv23??

junkman108

Threads
it has 2 wires on each coil. it don't know which wires get power . not like the magneto engines. it has two terminals on each coil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is it going on ?
Full engine numbers ?
Why are you fitting it ?

Neither wire gets battery power.
Both should go to the control module which you may or may not have gotten with the engine.

junkman108

Threads
i made a mistake its a CV22-67515. It's got that SAM spark system. Putting it in a Lesco Walkbehind. Like to start it up on the bench first. I believe the SAM box is there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a Smart advance system, the coils have 2 terminals a 1/4" & a 3/16" one so they cant be connected wrong.
The SAM module will have 6 wires .
a pair for each coil
a black ground wire
a red power in wire
The coil wires should be sheathed in pairs and one will be longer than the other
The terminals on the ends of the wires are different sizes
\The brown wire will go to the small terminals and the other will go to the big one.
The big terminal wiles are all different colours depending upon what type of SAM unit is fitted.

I have only done SAMs on singles so if the coil leads are the same length I can not tell you which goes to the left or right coil.

junkman108

Threads
I was reading online that the SAM can be done away with by installing regular coils. I guess the flywheel has a magneto magnets??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AFAIK the flywheels are all the same regardless of what ignition system you use.
They all are magnetos.
The SAM module just changes the timing so it is optimal for the speed the mower is running.
Unlike a kettering ignition, a magneto can not create a spark earlier than when the magnets pass the coil, this is fixed.

However they can delay the spark.
If you can read circuit diagrams you will see that a Spark Advance Module is really a Spark Less Retard Module.

And yes there is a conversion to fixed timing, Rivits or Ilengine posted the parts list a few days back.

junkman108

Threads
I don't think the newer 2000+ Kohler commands use the SAM anymore.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes Kohler dropped it.
A shame because it really made a big difference to the output of the engine, but Joe Public is ignorant & stupid
Faced with the choice between a 15 Hp SAM engine and a 19Hp fixed ignition for the same price they will always go for the 19Hp cause it is bigger so it must be better ,, right ?