Repairs Troy-bilt Horse XP w. Kohler Courage 20HP only running with Choke engaged

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-bilt Horse XP w. Kohler Courage 20HP only running with Choke engaged
I have a Troy-bilt Horse XP that is almost exactly 2 years old. One day while cutting the grass, my mower died out of the blue. I restarted it, but it would die again when I engaged the blade and hit the grass that needed to be cut. I could drive it around without the blade engaged with no problem, but when the motor was put under any load it would shut off. I am not mechanically inclined at all, so I went to the internet to try to find a diagnosis. First suggestion was replacing the fuel and air filters. I replaced the filters, and then the issue changed... It would start up and run for about 8 seconds and then shut off. It acted like it wasn't getting fuel. Back to the internet... the common diagnosis was cleaning/rebuilding the carb or the solenoid on the carb being bad. I found that a brand new carb was just a few dollars more than a rebuild kit, and that would also replace the solenoid. So I ordered a brand new carb and installed it. Now the mower will only start when the choke is engaged. It will run for a minute or so with the choke engaged, but not long enough to do anything. I've read where some folks can mow their lawn with the choke on, but this is not the case. Someone suggested adjusting the screw on the carb. I can adjust it all over the place, and the condition doesn't change. I've also replaced the spark plug at some point during all this as well. I've also verified the solenoid is working on the new card by feeling and listening for the "click" when the key is turned on. I'm positive it's probably a simple fix or adjustment, but I just don't have the experience and knowledge to know what to do next. So talk to me like a 5-year-old and tell me what to do next. Don't assume that I've tried anything that may be common knowledge to do, because I don't have that common knowledge.
Everything I've tried, as suggested by the internet:
new fuel filter
new air filter
new spark plug
new carb/gaskets
adjusted carb
verified solenoid works
drained fuel tank
new gas

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For starters, go to the kohler web page, sign on as a guest then download the parts, owners & repair manual for your engine.
Go to Troy built and downlaod the parts book for your mower as it has the wiring diagram in it and we like to use part number to describe parts to avoid confusion.
Arm yourself with a can of carb spray ( you will use it as starting fluid ) and a red spark tester as you have a twin, 2 would be better.
The ones I use are Oregon part No 42-087
Hook the testers up then start then engine, choke off by spraying SHORT SHOTS of carb cleaner through the carb.
If it starts and you can keep it running ( badly ) for about a minute with repeated SHORT SHOTS then you have a fuel problem.
While you are doing this keep your third eye on the spark testers, both should be flashing at around the same rate but not the same time .

If the replacement carb was the same price as a rebuild kit then it is a Chinese knock off and there is no reason to believe it will be correct for your engine or even work .
So put the old one back on.
Clean it as per the instructions found here http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

When you dig up the engine number ( it will be CV something ) and the mower number from the tag under the seat both of which you will need to get the correct manuals, post them here so we know which engine we are trying to walk you through fixing.

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, I didn't get any kind of notification that there was a reply. The motor is a CV20. I haven't had any time to mess with it lately. My work hours changed this week.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is your mower so it is no problem for us.
The forum is something I do while having a cuppa .

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, it's a Kohler SV 601. Call me stoopid if you must, but I don't see a fuel pump on this thing. Every diagram I can find shows that it should be between the fuel filter and the carburetor (pics attached). One little sentence in the service manual says that some models have it under the cover, but I don't see it there either and there is no diagram showing where it should be. it says "mounted to air cleaner base", but there is nothing mounted to it, nor holes to mount anything. Am I just an idiot, or did they not install the friggin thing?? I know for a fact that I haven't removed it. I've only disconnected fuel lines from the fuel filter when I replaced it, and from the carburetor when I replaced it. And all lines were re-attached as shown in my pics. The fuel line for MY mower runs from the bottom of the gas tank, through the fuel filter, and then to the carb. There isn't another line running anywhere else. Help!!

Attachments

• 20180820_200931.jpg
    20180820_200931.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180820_200941.jpg
    20180820_200941.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180820_200951.jpg
    20180820_200951.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180820_201033.jpg
    20180820_201033.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180820_201044.jpg
    20180820_201044.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180820_201055.jpg
    20180820_201055.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180820_201126.jpg
    20180820_201126.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180820_203907.jpg
    20180820_203907.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180820_203928.jpg
    20180820_203928.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is why you need the parts book for both the engine & the mower.
Fuel pumps are generally only fitted to engines on mowers where the fuel tank is lower than the carburettor float bowl.
Usually these mowers have the fuel tank under the seat or rear guards.
Your mower has the tank under the dash so the fuel will flow by gravity alone to the carb.

jbeazell

Threads
...also, it looks like your choke is engaged already, since the chock place it closed in your first picture. If you don't have your throttle level in the choke position, then your linkages are bent or maladjusted :)

jbeazell

Threads
reading your initial thread, it sounds like the circuit to your fuel shut-off solenoid is flaky and cutting out. When you turn your key to on, without starting the engine, do you hear a little click under the carb? If not, look for a wire down there and see if it is connected. If not, connect it. If it is, wiggle it to see if you hear the solenoid clicking.

Mine was oil soaked and did exactly what you describe. when the engine was under load, it would vibrate that connection free and it'd cut off the fuel after a few seconds.

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
reading your initial thread, it sounds like the circuit to your fuel shut-off solenoid is flaky and cutting out. When you turn your key to on, without starting the engine, do you hear a little click under the carb? If not, look for a wire down there and see if it is connected. If not, connect it. If it is, wiggle it to see if you hear the solenoid clicking.

Mine was oil soaked and did exactly what you describe. when the engine was under load, it would vibrate that connection free and it'd cut off the fuel after a few seconds.

Per the initial post, I have verified the solenoid is working on the new carb. I can hear the "click" and also can feel a noticeable bump when it engages.

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
...also, it looks like your choke is engaged already, since the chock place it closed in your first picture. If you don't have your throttle level in the choke position, then your linkages are bent or maladjusted :)

The throttle lever was in the choke position at the time of the pic. I moved it back, and it opened up. All is good with the linkage, it was just left in the wrong position.