Repairs Troy-bilt Horse XP w. Kohler Courage 20HP only running with Choke engaged

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-bilt Horse XP w. Kohler Courage 20HP only running with Choke engaged
This is why you need the parts book for both the engine & the mower.
Fuel pumps are generally only fitted to engines on mowers where the fuel tank is lower than the carburettor float bowl.
Usually these mowers have the fuel tank under the seat or rear guards.
Your mower has the tank under the dash so the fuel will flow by gravity alone to the carb.

So I'm back to square one having no idea what the problem is. Awesome. Time to pay someone with more brains than me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We know what the problem is , the engine is not getting a proper air fuel ratio.
The question is why ?
Two paths
1) obstruction in the fuel supply
2) introduction of air after the main jet.

The latter is checked by getting a trigger pack of WD 40 or similar and thoroughly saturating the inlet manifold when the engine is running fast .
Clouds of white smoke = air leak.
For fuel solenoids I like to replace them with a bolt for the purpose of diagnosis.
If you had a bad batch of fuel, the fuel lines could be failing.
Other than that it is back into the carb paying attention to the hole in the main jet and the holes in the emulsion tube that sits on top of it.
Usually the emulsion tube needs to be pushed out.
Full details of how to properly clean a carb can be found at http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/

jbeazell

Threads
Per the initial post, I have verified the solenoid is working on the new carb. I can hear the "click" and also can feel a noticeable bump when it engages.

ya...but does it also click when you wiggle the wire :)

SpammsMcghee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, new problem (or possibly a new symptom)... After the previous mess, I finally gave up and put it all back together and was going to seek out a mechanic, but it miraculously decided to start working (sort of) on its own. It runs a bit rough (vibrates more than it ever did), but it will run, and will cut. However, when encountering any incline or side hill, it cuts out like it's not getting fuel and I'll have to quickly change direction to get to level or down-hill ground. The incline doesn't have to be great. Almost any incline at all will cause this to happen. Any ideas?

Jenvan95

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m having the exact same problem and have replaced all the same things. Any luck figuring this out?