Craftsman Riding Mower Overheating

Shawn R.

Threads
I have this Craftsman riding mower (MODEL # - 917.271632) that'll start to overheat and then shut off after about 15 minutes of use. It is an old mower given to me by a guy who fixes them as a trade in for a non-working Zero Turn. I have a fairly large yard that can be cut in about 30 minutes with a fast riding mower. This mower begins to overheat in about 15 minutes and I don't know why. Whenever it starts to shut off, I've got to hit the brakes to let it rev back up and then I can continue cutting. However, this trick will only work so many times. When it's had enough, it will shut down regardless of whether or not I hit the brakes. What makes it overheat? Can it be fixed or is it just too old a mower?

IMG_20180630_145630.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180630_145630 - Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20180630_145630 - Smaller.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Shawn R.

Threads
Thanks. I'll look into it!

ronwhite

Threads
Hey Shawn, had a similar thing happening to me several years back. It would start to sputter and I would press clutch, motor would catch up and I could continue mowing a while longer. Long story short, it turned out to be fuel filter.

Shawn R.

Threads
Hey Shawn, had a similar thing happening to me several years back. It would start to sputter and I would press clutch, motor would catch up and I could continue mowing a while longer. Long story short, it turned out to be fuel filter.

Hmm. The fuel filter. Now that I think about it, I haven't replaced the fuel filter ever since I got it from a guy who fixes and sells mowers. I don't know jack about fixing this mower but I'm pretty good with cars. I was also considering replacing the spark plug as well. I usually order my parts on eBay so that's probably what I'll do for these parts. Is it difficult to replace the fuel filter?

Is this the fuel filter?

Fuel Fillter.jpg

Last edited:

ronwhite

Threads
yes, that is the fuel filter and it is not difficult to change. don't go by what is on there because you don't know who has put what on there. look up the part and make sure you order the correct one. make sure arrow (for flow) goes toward carb.

Shawn R.

Threads
yes, that is the fuel filter and it is not difficult to change. don't go by what is on there because you don't know who has put what on there. look up the part and make sure you order the correct one. make sure arrow (for flow) goes toward carb.

Will do. Thanks!