Gravely ZTHD 52 spring on hydro-drive tensioner keeps breaking...

abgar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gravely ZTHD 52 spring on hydro-drive tensioner keeps breaking...
Anyone had issue with this? 800hrs in, no prob. First one broke and went through three replacements so far in just a few weeks. Belt is in good shape, going to replace it anyway. Nothing binding up hydros. What would make a spring (or several) break in such a short period of time?

Part is EXTENSION SPRING 08300507, runs between anchor bolt and tensioner bar for hydro-drive belt pulleys.

Any input is appreciated!

tbzep

Threads
Anyone had issue with this? 800hrs in, no prob. First one broke and went through three replacements so far in just a few weeks. Belt is in good shape, going to replace it anyway. Nothing binding up hydros. What would make a spring (or several) break in such a short period of time?

Part is EXTENSION SPRING 08300507, runs between anchor bolt and tensioner bar for hydro-drive belt pulleys.

I broke one last year with less than 10 hours on my mower. Dealer gave me a new one and it's still going. I've heard they had a batch of springs with bad metal, which would explain your issue, but I have no idea if that's true.

Camilo13

Forum Newbie
Threads

Go to Tractor Supply and buy one of their off the shelf springs. The spring will have a fixed end and not a swivel. You will have to take a pair of vice grips and modify the hook end to fit. My factory original Gravely spring broke after just 3 months and I have been using the one from Tractor Supply for more than 1 1/2 years and no problem.