Kohler Courage SV710-740

mckengc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt Mustang zero turn mower with a Kohler Courage SV710-740 engine, the problem is the thing will not crank unless you spray it with starter fluid before trying to crank it. Once it is started it runs fine. Had this problem when I first bought the mower and they fixed it but don't know what they did to it. That was three years ago and now it is doing it once again. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Firstly please be careful with your wording.
You have the mower in front of you but all we have is the words you put on the screen
So your engine is CRANKING, but not STARTING unless you give it a shot of starter fluid.

If this is the case then either the idle circuit is blocked or the choke is not closing fully.

So start by throttling back to a slow idle.
If the engine is happy running slow and not missing then the idle circuit in the carb is fine.

You are now looking at adjusting the choke cable so that the choke closes fully by loosening the cable clamp and moving the cable back a bit.
If it is a single throttle / choke cable check that the choke is fully open when the cable gets to the notch / detent where it sits when running WFO ( which is where it should always be run ).

mckengc

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

Firstly please be careful with your wording.
You have the mower in front of you but all we have is the words you put on the screen
So your engine is CRANKING, but not STARTING unless you give it a shot of starter fluid.

If this is the case then either the idle circuit is blocked or the choke is not closing fully.

So start by throttling back to a slow idle.
If the engine is happy running slow and not missing then the idle circuit in the carb is fine.

You are now looking at adjusting the choke cable so that the choke closes fully by loosening the cable clamp and moving the cable back a bit.
If it is a single throttle / choke cable check that the choke is fully open when the cable gets to the notch / detent where it sits when running WFO ( which is where it should always be run ).

Thanks for the information, I will try the choke cable adjustment and see if that works. Thanks againb