Raptor SD 54 Belt Slipping

Highway61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am into my second season with a Raptor SD 54. A few weeks ago, it really started bogging down and almost stalling when the blades got under any kind of load. I cleaned the deck the best I could without removing it and cleaned out the grass build up around the belts under the plastic covers. It didn't help. So I decided to buy new blades, and remove the deck for a good cleaning. I put the new blades on, cleaned it up and put it back together. Took it out and the yard, engaged the blades and didn't hear the normal change in sound. It was as if the blades were not spinning. I pulled up the chute and saw the blades were indeed spinning. I took it to a part of my yard that needed to be mowed and it would cut, but not well. Any little bit of high grass would cause a squealing sound, which I am assuming is the belts slipping. I double checked that the belt was routed correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Threads
Hello,

I am into my second season with a Raptor SD 54. A few weeks ago, it really started bogging down and almost stalling when the blades got under any kind of load. I cleaned the deck the best I could without removing it and cleaned out the grass build up around the belts under the plastic covers. It didn't help. So I decided to buy new blades, and remove the deck for a good cleaning. I put the new blades on, cleaned it up and put it back together. Took it out and the yard, engaged the blades and didn't hear the normal change in sound. It was as if the blades were not spinning. I pulled up the chute and saw the blades were indeed spinning. I took it to a part of my yard that needed to be mowed and it would cut, but not well. Any little bit of high grass would cause a squealing sound, which I am assuming is the belts slipping. I double checked that the belt was routed correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It sounds like you have a bearing going in a hub or in and idler pulley. I would remove the deck again and check all your bearings and pulleys

Highway61

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you have a bearing going in a hub or in and idler pulley. I would remove the deck again and check all your bearings and pulleys

Thanks for the suggestion. I went back out to pull the belt off and realized I'm an idiot. The belt slipped off the drive pulley. So it would spin without resistance, but would slip with resistance. Thanks for the help!

mhavanti

Threads
Highway61,

One thing you need to do is my belt guard upgrade / modification. It will solve any and all clogging of the belt guard. Thus it will keep clippings from being forced between the belt and pulley. I'll add a picture or two of the modification for you.

Max

DSC04688.JPGDSC04687.JPGDSC04708.JPGDSC04709.JPGDSC04710.JPG

Highway61

Forum Newbie
Threads

mhavanti

Threads
Highway61,

I used a step drill bit. The holes are one inch which is the distance from the end of the radius coming down from the top of the guard to the beginning of the radius beginning on the bottom. In other words, in the flat between the two radius. The holes are one inch in diameter with the inside and outside chamfered in order to keep clippings from being snagged.

Here is a belt spacing layout in the event you'd like to open yours up.

Have fun,

Max

Hustler Raptor SD Belt Cover Hole Spacing Guide.jpg