Scag Tiger Cat - less than 100 hours and two issues

ag2

Forum Newbie
Threads
First time Scag owner.

Purchased the mower new 3 years ago. Only mow my property (3-4 acres) about 2-3 times a month in Missouri. I have 92 hours on it. Change the oil after 20 hours and every spring. I keep it in the garage. Never been rained on.

Issue #1 - front left wheel bearing failed today - big time. The bearing is gone. I have 92 hours on the machine. Please don't tell me this is normal! Will Scag dealer fix this under warranty? If not, can I find wheel bearings at Autozone or O'Reilly's, or do I need to order from Scag or dealer?

Issue #2 - I noticed the last time that I mowed, the RPMs are running at about 75% of norm. It seems to lack a little power and speed. Throttle and choke cables appear in perfect condition and operate fully. The air filter is fine. I even ran it without the air filter for a minute (without driving/no blades running), just to be certain. I also put a little Heet in the gas and ran it for about 45 minutes in case of water in the gas. Running 87 octane fuel. I have the Briggs motor.

Any help would be appreciated. Dealer won't be open until Monday.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bearings are bearings. Yes, they have better-made ones but no bearing is just a lawnmower bearing. You will need the inside and outside measurements. Also, does it have a lip or not. remove one from the right side and head to an auto parts store. As far as failing when did you grease them last? Did you grease them when you first received the mower? Yes, I do this for everything I purchase. I look up the maintenance secundal and start before use. Oil, grease and whatever else is needed. This includes my cars or trucks. Too many times I have found things that will destroy parts not done. So if I can grease oil or spray lube it then it gets done before the first ride. I have even purchased sealed bearings that had no grease in them.

Luffydog

Threads
Yes they should replace them under warranty. They should be able to adjust the rpms as well.

dfbroxy

Threads
I thought I would give a little advice on Issue #2. Check your fuel tank to be sure it is very clean. Then remove fuel line at filter and blow back into it till you hear air bubbles in the tank, check tank again for trash. Next change filter. Test mower. If it still isnt better, try changing fuel line. Test mower again. If this didnt work and mower still has any warrenty then take it to dealer. It lilely needs carb cleaned and valve lash adjusted.

Threads
First time Scag owner.

Purchased the mower new 3 years ago. Only mow my property (3-4 acres) about 2-3 times a month in Missouri. I have 92 hours on it. Change the oil after 20 hours and every spring. I keep it in the garage. Never been rained on.

Issue #1 - front left wheel bearing failed today - big time. The bearing is gone. I have 92 hours on the machine. Please don't tell me this is normal! Will Scag dealer fix this under warranty? If not, can I find wheel bearings at Autozone or O'Reilly's, or do I need to order from Scag or dealer?

Issue #2 - I noticed the last time that I mowed, the RPMs are running at about 75% of norm. It seems to lack a little power and speed. Throttle and choke cables appear in perfect condition and operate fully. The air filter is fine. I even ran it without the air filter for a minute (without driving/no blades running), just to be certain. I also put a little Heet in the gas and ran it for about 45 minutes in case of water in the gas. Running 87 octane fuel. I have the Briggs motor.

Any help would be appreciated. Dealer won't be open until Monday.

On your first issue, yes bearings are a normal wear and tear factor- Your dealer will not fix it under warranty as bearings, belts and consumable items are not covered under warranty!! On the seal of the bearing you will have a number (example 6204) which you can get anywhere. Which leads into the second issue. If you are noticing a lack of power, pull the spark plugs out. If you notice a pile of carbon on one, replace the spark plugs. If your spark plugs are O.K., then remove the solenoid at the bottom of the carb. I do not know what engine you have, so I aks that you just remove the solenoid at this stage to drain the fuel out of the carb. Hold the float bowl in position while undoing the solenoid.When the fuel has drained out, put the solenoid back in. Change the fuel filter as well. You may have water sitting in the bottom of the carb and this will remove it. If it still has not cured the problem, email me the model, type and code of your engine. I will look on the Briggs power portal to see what carb you have, then go from there. my email is dvata@yahoo.com

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me this sounds like your engine is only running on one cylinder. Simple test if you have a GOOD pair of insulated pliers. You don’t want to be rudely surprised. With the engine running at 3/4 throttle pull one plug wire off plug. If the RPM’s drop that cylinder is working properly. Repeat on the other cylinder. If there is no change in RPM’s there is a problem with that cylinder. May be bad valves, bad valve clearance, bad head gasket, bad manifold or manifold gaskets or bad carb. If you do find a problem, post back and I will give you a procedure to narrow down the problem. If both cylinders drop, my guess is wrong.