Servicing Ferris 1500z front end

RickyPetite

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to servicing my Ferris 1500z. Can't figure out how to service the front fork axle (not sure of the exact name). No zerks. The current manual mentions removing a screw and inserting a zerk although mine doesn't seem to have any removable screws. I suspect that I remove the silver cap at the top to
disassemble the entire thing. Is that correct? Do I pack grease into the cylinder and then reassemble? How often does this need to be performed? Thx

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

RickyPetite

Forum Newbie
Threads
After some research, it appears that "repacking the bearings" is similiar (? identical) to the same procedure on the bearings of a boat trailer. The silver cap should come off, cotter pin and crown bolt removed and the 2 angled bearings removed. These are them "packed" with grease (dollop on hand forced into the nooks and crannies) and them the unit is reassembled. That is what's done in theory, I'll find out at the end of the season. Wondering if anyone has experience performing this task and could offer some insight/advice. Thx

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you have it apart drill a hole and tap it then install a zerk. Problem solved for good.

RickyPetite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your solution is intriguing. Any concerns that the internal design may not be suitable for greasing through a zerk? How would you decide the best placement for the zerk (middle, top or bottom, front or back, anywhere out of the way)?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you look up a parts diagram for your machine you will see it is a big open space in the middle. Bearings on top and bottom and shaft through the middle. I would look at all the scratches on the part and place it where you have none. So it should be pointing towards the back of the mower.

RickyPetite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Final question - I have seen youtube vids showing how to install a grease fitting and the majority use a drill press to make the initial hole. I don't have a drill press (and it would be unlikely that I could remove the piece from the tractor). Do you think that I will be able to drill the pilot hole with a hand drill (assuming that I have a high quality bit)? Thx

RickyPetite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, one more question...what size zerk would you recommend?

RickyPetite

Forum Newbie
Threads
I added a grease zerk to the front end as suggested. I thought that I would share a few thoughts and pictures from the project in case anyone else was so inclined. I would say that I am far from a machinest, I have never added a threaded screw to steel in my life. To those in the crowd who are machinest's, feel free to correct my redimentary instructions.

I bought a small pack of grease zerks for a few dollars. Size 1/4-28 (pretty standard size).
zerk.JPG

To determine the size of the drill bit required before using a tap, I referred to chart like this:
http://www2.mae.ufl.edu/designlab/Lab Assignments/EML2322L Tap Drill Chart.pdf

For a 1/4-28 zerk, I needed a #3 drill bit (#3 refers to "wire size" which is an alternative sizing system similiar to metric or SAE)
size.jpg

I took the cap off of the top of the front suspension using a screwdriver to loosen it up and then a pipewrench to remove it.
cap off.jpg

Once the cap is off, there is a crown nut and cotter pin. Remove the cotter pin and crown nut. The axle will fall out from below. Internally, from top to bottom, there is: 2 washers...angled bearing...angeled bearing...retaining ring (very bottom of suspension component)
parts2.jpg

All of these were removed and cleaned with mineral spirits. (no picture of cleaned components)

down the housing.jpg

I then drilled though the mid-section of the joint (large void in-between the bearings) using cutting oil to cool/lubricate. I then used a 1/4-28 tap to thread the hole and installed the zerk with locktite.

zerk installed.jpg

I "packed" the 2 bearings by hand (big dollop of grease on the palm, force grease into all of the nooks and cranies) and reinstalled all components. Before I put the cap back on, I used the zerk to make sure that grease came out the top and bottom. I put a little grease inside the cap and reinstalled. Finished!

final.jpg

Final analysis - totally worth it. Packing the bearings is a 1/2 day job. Using a grease zerk takes minutes. Thx for the idea!

weathda

Threads
Nice job. Thanks for reporting back!