Briggs & Stratton 6.75 Quantum engine on Craftsman power washer won't start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton 6.75 Quantum engine on Craftsman power washer won't start
A SHORT SHOT means a SHORT SHOT
We are talking just touching / bouncing your finger on the button.
6 seconds is aking to pouring fuel in the plug hole to the top.
All you managed to do was flood the engine.

lease read the posts carefully and do EXACTLY what you were asked to do.
We have nothing more to work with but the words you type on the screen which makes what we are trying to do a lot lot lot hardr than what you are trying to do.
So go back, pull the plug out crank the engine a few times to clean it out then do as previously requested.
Short = 1/10 second type of short.
If nothing happens, then try 2 short shots.
Still not joy, try 3

Any longer and you are flooding the engine

DTWinters

Forum Newbie
Threads
A SHORT SHOT means a SHORT SHOT

My thanks for your patience and understanding. Had I given it more thought, I would have started with a much quicker squirt of carb cleaner.

Heeding your advice, I tried 1 quick squirt with no success.

Unfortunately, I made it all the way up to 5 quick squirts with no combustion, so I must have a timing issue which eludes me.

I like solving puzzles, but now that I have turned 50 I'm getting a little (not enough, but a little) smarter about punting and moving on.

Again, thanks for all the assistance. With your collective assistance I'm smarter for my efforts, now knowing that I should look for my next power washer to have iron cylinder sleeves.

And hopefully others will learn from this thread with better results!

Cheers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My thanks for your patience and understanding. Had I given it more thought, I would have started with a much quicker squirt of carb cleaner.

Heeding your advice, I tried 1 quick squirt with no success.

Unfortunately, I made it all the way up to 5 quick squirts with no combustion, so I must have a timing issue which eludes me.

I like solving puzzles, but now that I have turned 50 I'm getting a little (not enough, but a little) smarter about punting and moving on.

Again, thanks for all the assistance. With your collective assistance I'm smarter for my efforts, now knowing that I should look for my next power washer to have iron cylinder sleeves.

And hopefully others will learn from this thread with better results!

Cheers

So now we know that either
1) the timing key on the flywheel has sheared & the spark is happening at the wrong time
or
2) a valve is stuck open

This is assuming the engine does in fact spark.

So undo the flywheel nut & check the position of the key slots.

Put your hand over the carb inlet and get some one to pull the starter rope,it should suck your hand tightly if the inlet valve is opening and your hand should stay there is the inlet valve closes again properly.
You can do the same a the muffler outlet checking fora good flow of exhaust.

DTWinters

Forum Newbie
Threads
So now we know that either
1) the timing key on the flywheel has sheared & the spark is happening at the wrong time
or
2) a valve is stuck open

You sir were 100% correct.

The flywheel key was sheared.

I ordered new keys after confirming the flywheel freely turns.

Pulling the flywheel off and seeing new oil flung around makes it apparent the magneto side oil seal has failed, but I will hold off on ordering that part until after replacing the flywheel key and confirming the engine runs properly.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

More to come...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hope you ordered a couple

DTWinters

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope you ordered a couple

Wise words indeed.

The engine started on the third pull which was plenty exciting and then within a couple seconds it made a slight popping noise and the first key sheared right off.

Fortunately, the Briggs & Stratton OEM hang pack came with 3 keys.

I took the pump head off and replaced the key. This time the engine started right up and continued to run, but a little jerky which likely was due to not having any load on it.

I reattached the pump head and backed off the unloader valve a whole bunch.

The good news is that after some adjustments I have the power washer running again complete with pressure!

The not as good news is that my oil leak is still plenty active so it's time to replace the oil seal on the magneto side (P/N 299819S).