TENACITY® --- how to apply to 36 - 50 sq. ft. of lawn

MowerMark

Threads
  • / TENACITY® --- how to apply to 36 - 50 sq. ft. of lawn
LABEL: https://www.domyown.com/msds/Tenacity Herbicide Label.pdf

https://www.domyown.com/tenacity-herbicide-p-1877.html

Have an 8 oz. bottle of this Tenacity herbicide as it is easily available to all consumers. The directions for application are "4 - 8 oz. per 30 gallons of water per acre". OH MY ! I'd like to test this on only 30 - 60 sq. ft. of the lawn to see the response of the bent grass.

1. How to mix just a small amount of this Tenacity to apply as a test?

2. It should be applied with a "non-ionic surfactant". In the past I've used "Aquaduct", a fine granulated powder. What is a good non-ionic surfactant for the lawn ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That must be some really strong stuff if 4-6 ounces in 30 gallons of water is enough to treat an acre (43,560 square feet).

6 ounces per 30 gallons = 1/5th ounce per gallon. One gallon of the mixture treats 1/30th of an acre, or 1542 square feet.

1/5th of an ounce isn't a lot; 1.15 teaspoons.

I don't know if it's non-ionic but I use Dawn dishwashing soap as a surfactant.

MowerMark

Threads
That must be some really strong stuff if 4-6 ounces in 30 gallons of water is enough to treat an acre (43,560 square feet).

6 ounces per 30 gallons = 1/5th ounce per gallon. One gallon of the mixture treats 1/30th of an acre, or 1542 square feet.

1/5th of an ounce isn't a lot; 1.15 teaspoons.

I don't know if it's non-ionic but I use Dawn dishwashing soap as a surfactant.

Impressive. Thanks. So how many cc's of Tenacity to use per quart of water on say 10 square feet?

How much Dawn per quart of water ?

Does on apply the Dawn first, then Tenacity, or can they be mixed?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
About 1.5 cc of Tenacity to a quart of water, but according to the application rate you gave, a quart is enough to treat 363 square feet, not 10.

Add the surfactant (Dawn) to the mix with the last of the water. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of foam.

MowerMark

Threads
About 1.5 cc of Tenacity to a quart of water, but according to the application rate you gave, a quart is enough to treat 363 square feet, not 10.

Add the surfactant (Dawn) to the mix with the last of the water. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of foam.

Great info! So I'll just try a third of that quart on 100 square feet.

Is Dawn as good as Monterey Herbicide Helper? EZ Foam ?

How much Dawn to add to the quart of mixed Tenacity?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't answer your question about surfactants. All I know is they reduce surface tension of water to keep it from beading on the plant thus giving more even, complete coverage of the plant. I don't even know what a non-ionic surfactant is, so Dawn may not be the best one to use in your application. If you can get your hands on the non-ionic kind, that is probably the best thing for you to do.

If you end up using Dawn, a small squirt in a quart of water is plenty.

MowerMark

Threads

My 10 should have read 100, or 10 x 10 ft.

MowerMark

Threads
Would this be the final test mixture ?

Okay. How about 0.5 cc Tenacity® in a quart of water, followed by a squirt of Dawn®, and the entire quart applied to 100 square feet of possibly bent grass infested bluegrass lawn ? Or did my feeble mind screw up again?

MowerMark

Threads
Is this calculation correct ?

If 6 oz. of Tenacity in 30 gallons over one acre is recommended, then what would be the mixture for 1,500 sq. ft. ?

If one assumes the volume, is not critical, but needs to be convenient, then it seems 6.0 cc Tenacity per 1,500 sq. ft. ?????

(one acre = 43,500 sq. ft., 6 oz. = 177 cc)