Removing blade attachment collar/flange hint

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might not always work but did for me. Wanting to check exhaust ports and muffler. Took off blade, put nut back on flush, two jaw puller tight enough to start bending flange, spayed with loosener stuff, put some heat on it, hit the end of the puller screw a couple times, wouldn't budge. Didn't want to overheat the crank and ruin the seal so I quit that. Searched here on the site and noted that the shaft is tapered. Humm.... Sort of like a tie rod end or balljoint. So I got a hammer and a drift (punch with a flat end), put the end of the drift down behind the flange on the side of the collar itself, and gave it a couple good whacks. Flange/collar popped loose. Also used a big hammer to buck the opposite side to keep from maybe bending the crank, just as a precaution. So if all else fails, get out the hammer.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Tom,

Yeah those suckers are hard to remove. The Lawn-Boy repair manual saying to strike the edge in the same direction as the nut loosens.

But in my experience, I've damaged them trying to remove them.

Regards

Jeff

Russ2251

Threads
The Lawn-Boy repair manual saying to strike the edge in the same direction as the nut loosens.
Only method that worked for me.
Can't BS with it. One good solid whack does it.

bogdaN

Threads
Might not always work but did for me. Wanting to check exhaust ports and muffler. Took off blade, put nut back on flush, two jaw puller tight enough to start bending flange, spayed with loosener stuff, put some heat on it, hit the end of the puller screw a couple times, wouldn't budge. Didn't want to overheat the crank and ruin the seal so I quit that. Searched here on the site and noted that the shaft is tapered. Humm.... Sort of like a tie rod end or balljoint. So I got a hammer and a drift (punch with a flat end), put the end of the drift down behind the flange on the side of the collar itself, and gave it a couple good whacks. Flange/collar popped loose. Also used a big hammer to buck the opposite side to keep from maybe bending the crank, just as a precaution. So if all else fails, get out the hammer.

Yes,I,am late 6 months , but let me show on pic,s how I do it.remoowers 001.JPGremoowers 004.JPG