Ring gap at exhaust port?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
General tune up and cleaning out the muffler and exhaust ports. All pretty clean and looked good but I noticed the second ring's gap was visible in the exhaust port. Is this bad? Seems like the gaps should be on a solid part of the cylinder wall. Older F engine with normal use, runs fine, but this kind of worries me. Thoughts?

Russ2251

Threads
Some 2 cycle rings are pinned to prevent rotation.
I cant remember for the life of me if rings are pinned on the model F or not.

They probably aren't..given the fact that you can see the gap.
I would not worry about it.
If they were going to hang and snap, it would have happened long before now.
I will check further, if only for my own curiosity.

Edit:
They are not pinned...as reassembly instructions ask for them to be staggered during assembly.
If they were pinned, staggering would not be necessary.

Duraforce (model E) rings are pinned.

Last edited:

AnthemBassMan

Threads
My 1973 D600 engine is the same way. When I checked the exhaust ports in the beginning of June, one of the rings was near the left port.
787E6813-0C10-4D7F-A777-81DF13E9AAE0.jpg

L8R,
Matt

jp1961

Threads
Is it possible to spin the ring with something like a dental pick, or possibly a tooth pick?

Obviously you don't want to nick the ring in the process.

Regards

Jeff

Russ2251

Threads
Is it possible to spin the ring with something like a dental pick, or possibly a tooth pick?
You could, I suppose... but why would you want to?

AnthemBassMan

Threads
It’s probably possible, but may just end up back where it was over time. If you don’t see any scoring in that spot of the piston, then it should be just fine as it is.

L8R,
Matt

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 1973 D600 engine is the same way. When I checked the exhaust ports in the beginning of June, one of the rings was near the left port.
View attachment 39246

L8R,
Matt

Seeing that and the obvious long term use there I'd guess there's nothing to worry about. These little mowers sure make the most out of that 4 hp, mow down a hay field I'd guess. Thanks for the info!

AnthemBassMan

Threads
You’re quite welcome. I love the D Series engines. Not quite as powerful as the F Series, but they have some serious grunt for only being rated at 3.5hp. Gotta love 2 stroke torque!

L8R,
Matt

franchi

Threads
Do not worry about this. the ports are made to prevent the rings from "hooking." They are also bridged to also help to prevent cylinder distortion due to temperature changes. In some engines, the ring(s) are pinned to prevent the ring gap(s) from moving into the a position where they could become hooked in a port.

Good luck with your LB,

Franchi