Riddle me this

Dadillac

Threads
My Craftsman mower has the capability of mowing in reverse. It uses the key switch, that seems to be universal across all brands, that has the reverse mow position and the triangle button to push. What I have been doing is mowing in forward position with the key in the "forward" position. When I need to mow in reverse I move the key to the "reverse" position and press the triangle button. When I a m done backing up I move the key back to the "forward" position. Today I mowed and tried to mow forward while the key is in the "reverse" position and it mowed normally. So in essence I put the mower in the reverse position and pressed the triangle button one time but reverse mowed multiple times.

Is there any good logical reason that I cannot begin mowing, place the key in the reverse position, press the triangle button, and leave it like this during the duration of my mowing? Then all I have to do is operate the foot pedals without having to play with the key. Please advise

Don

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Craftsman mower has the capability of mowing in reverse. It uses the key switch, that seems to be universal across all brands, that has the reverse mow position and the triangle button to push. What I have been doing is mowing in forward position with the key in the "forward" position. When I need to mow in reverse I move the key to the "reverse" position and press the triangle button. When I a m done backing up I move the key back to the "forward" position. Today I mowed and tried to mow forward while the key is in the "reverse" position and it mowed normally. So in essence I put the mower in the reverse position and pressed the triangle button one time but reverse mowed multiple times.

Is there any good logical reason that I cannot begin mowing, place the key in the reverse position, press the triangle button, and leave it like this during the duration of my mowing? Then all I have to do is operate the foot pedals without having to play with the key. Please advise

Don

Yes, you can leave it/use in the reverse mowing position.

It is a safety feature...only those who can remain aware of the hazards of mowing in reverse should operate their mower that way.

children running up behind you when you stop...etc

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's what it's supposed to do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Not Mow In Reverse feature is there to absolve the factory from any responsibility for the lazyness & idiot stupidity of the 1/2 wit morons who through nothing more than their own stupidity injure them selves or some one else then go looking for some other party to blame because they never accept responsibility for any of their own actions.

This is why you have to turn the key into the "normal mow" position first and then past that into reverse mow and press a button so you can not go to court saying you did not expect the mower to go backwards with the blades turning.

We actually just has a fool reverse over their own child early this month.
Child lost both feet & one hand from the deck .
However she also had massive skull fractures a broken collar bone , broken pelvis and broken ribs, punctured lungs.
So even without the blades spinning an todler can be turned into dog food by reversing over them on a mower.
Down here they are now talking about reversing warning alarms on mowers, but would that stop a 2year old ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
I mowed with my 1998 B&S in that mode for 10 years. :thumbsup: But one must be aware of your surroundings at all times..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I mowed with my 1998 B&S in that mode for 10 years. :thumbsup: But one must be aware of your surroundings at all times..

But one must be aware of your surroundings at all times and that goes for mowing trimming chainsawing, riding a push bike, driving a vehicle or any other activity which could cause injury to yourself or those around you

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even getting out of bed can be dangerous........

Dadillac

Threads
Thanks guys. I found nothing in the manual or here in the forums about this subject. Wasn't sure that it was something that could be done. But I will be using that mode exclusively from here on out

Don