Grasshopper Midmount Parking Brake Trouble

Moe Furfun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys!

I just got me a nice G'hopper 428d in nice shape, and have been going through it doing some little things and checking it over before putting it to work here on the ol' homestead.

I knew from the git-go that the parking brake didn't work, and assumed the worst- that it would be the infamous cracked calipers. Pulled it apart last week, and the calipers appear to be in good shape, and the brake pads didn't look bad (or so it seemed to me)- Only thing I could find was a cracked mounting bracket on the left side. Replaced that and cleaned everything up and put 'er back together, and tried adjusting everything 30 different ways...and while I have the brakes working *somewhat* now (The right brake clamps solid and will hold on a moderate hill; left brake, no; and on a steepish hill, it'll just roll on down)- I want them to be GOOD- i.e. to be able to hold the mower solidly on any hill- as I have a lot of hills and banks, and would really like a parking brake I can depend on, in an emergency.

My question is (Since I have everything adjusted to the max already) what more can I do? Not having a solid brake is killing my enjoyment of an otherwise almost perfect machine. (O-K, the hydro reservoir leaks, but I'll fix that over the winter- otherwise, she's a beaut!)

I have already:
Cleaned, inspected and reassembled the calipers.
Adjusted the thingies that pull on the caliper levers.
Adjusted the parking brake handle.
Tightened a loose body mount near the brake handle.

?????

HELP!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have adjusted to the max then you have to replace the pads. They will have more material and should hold the mower. For your safety never count on brakes of a mower. They are not car brakes. Turn your mower sideways to the hill then set the parking brake.

Moe Furfun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm thinking that replacing the pads is the only stone left unturned, so I guess I'll try it....but when I had the calipers off and apart, the pads sure looked O-K. But I can't imagine what else it could be.

Funny thing is, the brake on my c.10 year-old Gravely ZT 2560HD (Not even a commercial grade unit) are rock solid.... I'd never rely on the parking brake- but a good brake is nice insurance, say, when you're mowing a steep hill by the road, and thinking "Gee, if the motor or pump should quit on me now I'd roll out in front of that truck!".

Moe Furfun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I finally figgered[sic] it out; so I thought I'd post this for anyone who may be having a similar problemo.

After replacing the pads accomplished absolutely nothing, I just happened to notice today that someone had installed a part in the linkage upside down at some point! It was the part that bolts to the caliper actuating arm with 2 bolts- i.e. the part that connects the caliper actuating arm to the adjuster (there's one on each side- only one was on upside down- which explains why the brake grabbed O-K on one wheel but not the other.)

I re-oriented the upside down part, and readjusted everything, then went and tested 'er out on one of my steepest hills....and VIOLA[sic]!t Holds like a rock now! FINALLY! YESSss!!