Ryobi CS30 clutch problems

Bergeron-g

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do any of you know how to determine if the clutch on a Ryobi CS30 is working or not? They are the two plate type which appayare no longer available. Do I throw away a perfectly good motor?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
Ryobi's whole marketing strategy is to produce reasonable quality tools that are comfortable to use, do a reasonably good job but are not repairable so you will toss it away & buy another Ryobi

Bergeron-g

Forum Newbie
Threads
What problem are you having with it?

It turns the the trimmer string when it starts but stops turning when underlay trying to cut the grass.

I bought a new clutch hub and clean the clutch plates but it did not make a difference. I thought it might also be the cable end in the upper shaft but they are no longer available.

Bergeron-g

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes,
Ryobi's whole marketing strategy is to produce reasonable quality tools that are comfortable to use, do a reasonably good job but are not repairable so you will toss it away & buy another Ryobi

Not good news for landfills.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not good news for landfills.

Nope not good news but it does make the billionairs who own Ryobi a lot more money so they can buy a lot of seats on Mr Musk's rocket to Mars having devistated the only planet the rest of us have to live on.
Decades Europe brought in end of service life liabilities to the manufacturers which is why a European car last a lot longer than an American car.
The shorter the service life the more tax the companies pay.
There was a massive backlash against this so the actual level of tax dropped about 50%.

Thousands of public attitude tests have been done over the years which proved conclusively that next to no one gives a toss about landfill untill their tip fees go up and almost no one would pay 10% more for a product that least twice as long.

For 20 years we have been trying to get the supermarkets to stop using single use plastic bags and again no one gave a tinkers curse, till China stopped taking Australian soft plastic waste and within a month the bags have been dropped.

Bergeron-g

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nope not good news but it does make the billionairs who own Ryobi a lot more money so they can buy a lot of seats on Mr Musk's rocket to Mars having devistated the only planet the rest of us have to live on.
Decades Europe brought in end of service life liabilities to the manufacturers which is why a European car last a lot longer than an American car.
The shorter the service life the more tax the companies pay.
There was a massive backlash against this so the actual level of tax dropped about 50%.

Thousands of public attitude tests have been done over the years which proved conclusively that next to no one gives a toss about landfill untill their tip fees go up and almost no one would pay 10% more for a product that least twice as long.

For 20 years we have been trying to get the supermarkets to stop using single use plastic bags and again no one gave a tinkers curse, till China stopped taking Australian soft plastic waste and within a month the bags have been dropped.

Success!!! I was able to use an upper shaft from an old trimmer I had (Ryobi 720 series) and make it work. Free from the landfill for a little while longer.