Engine Brand New Toro ss4225 Will Not Start !!!

mhumm2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm angry and I would really like to know if I'm doing something wrong? It was just delivered today for my wife - if you can believe it! She loves to cut the lawn.

- I read the owner's manual
- I put gas into the tank (E0 - No Ethanol)
- I checked the oil; full and clean from the factory
- I attempted to start engine (seat empty) to check interlocks as per the owner's manual (would not crank)
- Sat down in the seat and pulled the handles in to center and attempted start; again checking interlocks
- Sitting in seat with control handles pushed to their out and parked position
- PTO in; Throttle at 25% travel; Choke out maybe 10% (it's still 80 deg F outside)
- Tried to start engine, multiple times over the course of an hour !!!

The engine cranked, but would not turn over. A couple of times it fired on 1 or 2 cylinders, but would not start. 5 seconds of crank to 10 seconds rest to save the starter motor as per owner's manual. Finally the battery didn't have the juice to run the starting motor. Is this common on new Toros or is it just a first start issue? I can't believe I have to charge the battery on my 1-day-old Toro!!! This is not helping the company's customer relations or sense of reliability. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone from Toro is reading this, it would definitely be a good idea to respond.

"mhumm"
MSgt, USAF(ret)

Russ2251

Threads
Choke out maybe 10% (it's still 80 deg F outside)
Use full choke and report back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Recharge the battery then call the vendor and tell them you are having problems with the new mower.
Was it lifted off with a crane or driven off a trailer ?
IF the latter and it was shut off after a few minutes then the plugs may have loaded up because they have not gotten hot enough.
In any case if you have been cranking it and it has not been firing then the plugs should be wet and will probably gone bad.
If they are not wet then the plug on the carb solenoid has most likely fallen off during transport.

Because of all of the hairy chested morons with an IQ 1/2 the size of their feet showing every one how to strike a blow for freedom by bypassing the safety switches, Toro now has a module that can not by bypassed.
You can bypass it & start the mower but it will cut out when you try to move it.
These modules do cause grief and some times go bad very quickly.

Thus a few checks.
1) when the key is on the on position, the fuel solenoid on the carb should click, generally you can feel it with a finger resting on it if you can not hear it.
2) when the engine cranks you should have a spark at the plug .

With a brand new machine that is as far as you should go, after that it is Toro's duty to make the machine work.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1. Sit in the seat.
2. Sticks in the fully out position.
3. PTO off.
4. Full choke.
5. Throttle 3/4 to full throttle.
6. Turn key.
Air temp may be 80 but engine is no way close to warm.
I’ll bet you bought this unit at a BIG BOX store, they dropped it off and now it is your problem. A dealer would have made sure all fluids were correct, it started and ran properly, set the sticks so they functioned together, tire pressure was correct and deck was properly leveled. This is what is called “unit prepped and set up” ready to go. Then on delivery they show you how to us the unit. This is what is called customer service and support. You got neither, but don’t blame Toro, unless you did buy this from a dealer, then you should be ripping him a new &#35)@. Yes, I’m a Toro guy and have worked on and sold Toro’s since 1982, you have a good unit which needs some TLC so you wife will really enjoy mowing. If you can’t get it going, you’ll need to take it to a dealer for proper set-up.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree with the others.

Just curious, but which engine did you get ?

I'm a Toro guy myself, as of Aug 20, 2014, Fine machine.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
+1 to the previous comments. I'll add that you shouldn't be mad at Toro. 10% choke is an improper start procedure for a cold engine. Your fault, not theirs. Charge the battery and try again with full choke. It will probably start with a cloud of smoke.