Which is a better mower and would be low maintance

gladiator801

Threads
I am looking at two mowers to update my 30 year old Toro HMR One is a Toro Z Master 2009 model 74921 a 48 inch cut with a 23 hp kaw with 650 hours private owner The other is an Exmark Z Force 2009 52 inch cut 20 hp Kaw. 350 hrs. I know Exmark was bought by Toro but what year was that? My old mower is a toro and it has been a great mower with very little repairs still has original deck spindles that I grease every month [ has 3352 hrs on it]. My old mower has the 52 inch stamped deck and it mows and throws the grass out 4 to 8 feet. Will I notice the 4 inch deck size difference that much? Love my Toro but toro makes the Exmark too. Thanks Jim

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exmark Z Force? No such animal as far as I know.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exmark makes excellent machines. Not sure when Toro purchased them. I have a 2002 Exmark Lazer Z HP with the 23 Kawi which has been an excellent reliable mower. The motor is a bit tired now with just shy of 2000 hours but it was worked very hard grinding and bagging leaves. With the 20HP engine on a 52 inch deck I would consider the Exmark you are considering marginally powered/under powered. I think 2009 in the era that had the Triton deck which I have heard a lot of complaints about cut quality on? Mine has the Trivantage deck and it cuts excellent but doesn't handle wet conditions very well. It also doesn't handle stalky weeds and grass very well. Personally I'd lean toward Toro due to the better deck/engine combo , but yes, you will notice the missing 4 inches of cutting width.

gladiator801

Threads
Took the plunge and got the Toro Z Master 48 inch cut 23 hp kaw. This thing is a tank I thought my old mower was fairly heavy made at 860 pounds < but this thing weighs over 1200. Been busy prepping it and cleaning it up . Changed oil and took off deck pressure washed it and primered and finish it off with gloss black paint. Greased deck spindles they took a lot of pumps before the back pressure increased. Greased front wheels and pivot points. Noticed that this deck has an adjustable baffle plate under the deck does anyone adjust this in for finer clippings or just leave it wide open to throw the grass out farther? Thanks Jim

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congratulations! 23 Kawisaki on a 48 inch machine will get you through anything. Lots of torque.

gladiator801

Threads
Did a little more research and this mower is the G3 version

Congratulations! 23 Kawisaki on a 48 inch machine will get you through anything. Lots of torque.
Thought this mower was heavy duty and now know this is top of the line mower. next mowing I am adjusting in on the baffle plate to see what it does.