Kohler 26 HP V Twin Starter problems. Craftsman 54" Cut.

Berry

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 26 HP V Twin Starter problems. Craftsman 54" Cut.
I have a mower to fix from my mother in-law. I order a new starter motor and it will not turn the engine over. Also I notice broken teeth on the engine fly wheel. One section of teeth for about 6 inches is totally gone. The starter engages but will not turn the fly wheel. The old starter has a broken shaft in it. The mower did run okay. I have replaced the battery, plugs, air and gas filters, and changed oil. The motor is not seized. Any suggestions????

Travlitt

Threads
I have a mower to fix from my mother in-law. I order a new starter motor and it will not turn the engine over. Also I notice broken teeth on the engine fly wheel. One section of teeth for about 6 inches is totally gone. The starter engages but will not turn the fly wheel. The old starter has a broken shaft in it. The mower did run okay. I have replaced the battery, plugs, air and gas filters, and changed oil. The motor is not seized. Any suggestions????

Sounds like your starter may have the wrong gear for your flywheel. This would make the ratio wrong and it would either turn part way or break the teeth off of the flywheel.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

I don't see how you can have broken teeth on a flywheel unless the motor has a catastrophic problem or hydrolock in cylinder.
A lot of force was exerted on the flywheel.
Can you turn the engine by hand with the plugs removed?