Choices Choices...

upupandaway

Threads
The great debate- $40 for the non self propelled with the slanted lettering(older model) or more recent "commercial" with self propell for $20....
20180714_172325[1].jpg
20180714_172342[1].jpg

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 2 of those, but mine are self propelled.
One with a Briggs, one with a Wisconsin.

Man you can't KILL those things, and nobody wants them...........
Both were given to me.
The Briggs had a carb absolutely FULL of corrosion powder.
Fixed with a $5.00 ebay carb.
The 2 stroker was given to me by a mower repair man.

Someday I may restore them.

upupandaway

Threads
I'm not as lucky as you Ronno to get them as hand-me-downs. I got the $20 one and have a sale of my other Toro lined up so it will be free in the end. :)
I took it apart and it is covered with caked oil everywhere! on top, underneath, on engine.
I am going to repaint it from the get go. Being it leaked oil everywhere and i cannot find the intake manifold, I think im going to just drop a briggs i have laying around on it. I'll fiddle with the Wisconsin later.

upupandaway

Threads
ronno, i got around to look at the engine. Thing is- is your wisconsin motor a bear to pull start?
I have a Tecumseh H8 that feels easier to start than this.
With compression, i cant get it to spin very fast(it does spark with plug removed.

TIA.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
ronno, i got around to look at the engine. Thing is- is your wisconsin motor a bear to pull start?
I have a Tecumseh H8 that feels easier to start than this.
With compression, i cant get it to spin very fast(it does spark with plug removed.

TIA.

I don't have any problem pulling mine..........maybe yours has a blade brake??

upupandaway

Threads
I measured the valve gap and ground it down to .004 which i found for a similar model online. It seems easier. now to bolt it down and spray some starter fluid.
Would u do me a favor and take a pic of your self propel area? I found a piece i remember removing it but forget exactly where\how it goes.

TIA.

upupandaway

Threads
Here it is: I used car paint\clearcoat. It only took a few days to prep and paint but i had to wait 2 weeks to get the rear bearings before final assembly.
I took it apart down to paint every piece separately.
While i got the Wisconsin motor to run (the intake valve gap originally was too big), i dont have the carb\intake so i used a briggs laying around.

What luck- 3 days after buying this one, someone on craig's list posted a free 90'smaybe??? snapper. It is pretty much identical but it seems the deck is thinner metal because it flexed or else i didn't notice the old one flexing also.

20180728_170628.jpg20180728_170632.jpg20180728_170653.jpg20180728_165638.jpg20180728_170642.jpg20180728_170659.jpg

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure looks like a Briggs to me.......................????????????????????

My Wisconsin Robin is a 2 stroker....no way it could use a B&S carb.

upupandaway

Threads
Sure looks like a Briggs to me.......................????????????????????

My Wisconsin Robin is a 2 stroker....no way it could use a B&S carb.

Actually.... the tecumseh carb that works on their 2cycle snowblower is the same as one used on my H30. Maybe their 2 and 4 use the same carb.
I was thinking (but not motivated enough) to build an adapter to mount a briggs or tecumseh carb on the Wis. It all comes down to the engine has no clue how but so long as the right mix of air and fuel is provided, it will run.
Maybe someday when i'm bored, but for now Briggs it is.