Snapper Rider start issue. Have to turn key several times for it to turn over

geauxsnapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper Rider start issue. Have to turn key several times for it to turn over
Hoping the great minds here can help with this. Used the search but didn't find anyhting but I suspect it might be a search word issue on my part since describing the issue got lenghty........ ANYWAY here we go

Have a snaller rider about 4 years old, key strat only, no pull start. Recently I have had an issue where I have to turn the key on several times to get it to turn over and start. It may take 6-10 turns of the key to get it to turn over. Insert key, turn to start position and it does nothing, no noise, to turn over. Repeat this several times and it will engage and turn over, start. WHen it "catches" it starts just fine etc. THought originally it was a battery issue but battery is fine, took it to the battery store to get a new one but was told it was just fine............ ANY ideas as to what the heck is going on. It's my fear that this will eventually not start/engage at all. THANKS

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Snapper Rider start issue. Have to turn key several times for it to turn over
Umm...bad ignition switch?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the battery cable connections at both the solenoid and chassis ground? Dirty or loose connections here will have the same symptoms.

geauxsnapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the battery cable connections at both the solenoid and chassis ground? Dirty or loose connections here will have the same symptoms.

yes...thanks for the response

gvanek

Threads
If this is an RER, this is a common, annoying problem.

The ignition switch seems to go bad quickly. There is an updated replacement switch kit available...including a new pigtail to match up with old connector.

geauxsnapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
If this is an RER, this is a common, annoying problem.

The ignition switch seems to go bad quickly. There is an updated replacement switch kit available...including a new pigtail to match up with old connector.
So what does RER stand for? (rear engine something or another?) thanks

gvanek

Threads
Yes sir. Rear Engine Rider. Starting in 2013, the "new design" had a lot of issues...

geauxsnapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
CONCLUSION: well after replacing the ignition switch the issue still continued So I did what I guees I shouild have right off, I went to the local snapper shop and asked a rech. He confindently said, oh thats the selinoid. So after replacing that, $17 part, easy to swap out, the mower strats right up. Live and learn

Threads
CONCLUSION: well after replacing the ignition switch the issue still continued So I did what I guees I shouild have right off, I went to the local snapper shop and asked a rech. He confindently said, oh thats the selinoid. So after replacing that, $17 part, easy to swap out, the mower strats right up. Live and learn

I don't know why I didn't see this thread a long time ago........... Geaux Snapper what part of Louisiana you in ????

I had several of the old RER Snappers and they were awesome mowers............

Plus tard Mon Ami ~!~!

geauxsnapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know why I didn't see this thread a long time ago........... Geaux Snapper what part of Louisiana you in ????

I had several of the old RER Snappers and they were awesome mowers............

Plus tard Mon Ami ~!~!

I am in the stick..and my RER is the first model after the briggs take over of snapper. it has served me well but doesn't get much love from the dealers in the area. they say briggs ruined the rer's