Honda GXV530 question

Dewman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. New guy to this forum. I have a Hustler mower with a Honda GXV 530 engine. I had an issue with the clutch and pulled the engine. After the work was done (10 month process), I reinstalled the engine. When I tried to attach the battery cables, there was a spark and the starter seemed to be turning backward (turning, but not engaging). I checked the wiring and removed the starter solenoid. I tried to connect the battery with the solenoid removed and there was no spark during the connection and there was no noise from the engine. I reinstalled the solenoid and the same spark and starter engagement as before. I rebuilt a starter in an old car years ago and had the brushes wrong, so it spun in the wrong direction. That's kinda what this sounds like.. I know something is spinning and I assume it's the starter, but it's not turning the engine. I checked for a short across the solenoid, but the wirings are not touching. I assume a bad solenoid or starter. Any ideas?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section to see if we can find you an answer.

Dewman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have dug a little more. The starter is turning when the battery is connected and the key is not on or in the ignition. The solenoid is not engaging the starter. I replaced the solenoid thinking that the solenoid might be allowing the starter to turn without the ignition. No luck, still the same issue. May be the starter relay?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So do you have the Japan engine which has the solenoid piggy back on the starter or the USA version with a remote solenoid ?
The starter can not energise unless the solenoid triggers.
And the solenoid triggers through the small wire connected to the spade terminal.
IT should show 0 volts at all times except when the key is in the start position.

The other small wire ( usually red ) connected to the heavy power terminal is the power feed to the entire mower.
So check them both and tell us what you find.