Help, looking for best lawn tractor / garden tractor

Bob Es

Threads
I have a 1/2 acre plus lot that I am looking for something 42” - 48”.. I currently have a 48” Husqvarna ZTR, but just am an awful driver trying to control the front wheels around planter beds and etc...

From research on this site, it appears Cub Cadet, John Deere, and Husqvarna are the options (I’ve been looking at the JD X300 Series, but do not now how or which competitor’s models to compare them to)... are there others?

Priorities are:
Good clean cut
Good mulching (will bag at times)
Easy handling / Steering
Smoother ride
Reliable

As a curve ball, I would like to use it down the road for maybe pushing snow for a 35’ x 35’ driveway. Do I need to upgrade transmissions for this small area?

I will consider used for better models.. What level of hours is too high for used?

Your advice and input would be appreciated..
Tks
Bob

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kubota. You said 'the best'; in my opinion, Kubota is the best.

The only question is, do you want to spend the money it takes to get one?

Bob Es

Threads
I didn’t realize Kubota made the smaller mowers.. They seem to be a little more than I need cost wise. Tks

jp1961

Threads
Hi Bob,

I agree with cpurvis, Kubota makes a very good product. Don't be fooled into a lower sticker price of the MTD stuff, it may very well cost you more in the long run.

I remember an old Car and Driver report that said, after repairs cost, depreciation, resale value, it was actually cheaper to buy a BMW over a Pontiac in the long run,,,go figure.

Another option is to call a lawnmower repair shop (one that preferably doesn't sell new equipment) and ask them what brands they see least often, that would be the brand you'd want to buy.

Trust guys like ilengine and bertsmobile,,,they wrench on this stuff for a living, I don't, so I respect their input.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited: