2015 Troy Bilt 42" Hydro 547cc troy bilt engine trouble

cxbxr.3

Threads
  • / 2015 Troy Bilt 42" Hydro 547cc troy bilt engine trouble
Having trouble that just started the other day , the engine misses real bad & died once heavy black smoke (not blue not white) came out of exhaust & was very hard to start. Acts like it is getting to much gas or running rich... I changed the plug, airfilter, gas no help seems to start after its warmed up. This model has the electronic gas shutoff on the carb fuel bowl could it be the oring ? I heard something similar happening to others ?

cxbxr.3

Threads
OK so i could not find a rebuild kit for the carb, so i just replaced it with a new carb.. same issue missing like crazy, chugs & when it chugs black smoke comes out, checked valve lash appears to be within spec, also replaced fuel in tank twice to rule out bad gas. Seems like since this has been happening it uses more fuel. Keep in mind this only started happening last week & went downhill fast.. thinking coil or maybe ? what else is there ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blown head gasket .
Run the engine for a short while then turn it off, wait a minute then remove the dip stick.
If it smokes the head gasket is gone.

cxbxr.3

Threads
Pulling the head this week to check head gasket & head

cxbxr.3

Threads
Have a question before I pull the head to replace head gasket, I would like to check the flywheel key. Does anyone know what flywheel puller I need for the mtd: 4X90HU engine ? Also by anychance know the flywheel nut socket size ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You only have to remove the flywheel bolt to see if the key is bad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a question before I pull the head to replace head gasket, I would like to check the flywheel key. Does anyone know what flywheel puller I need for the mtd: 4X90HU engine ? Also by anychance know the flywheel nut socket size ?

No puller needed.
Put a pry bar under the flywheel ( not under the magneto magnets, supported on a strong part of the engine.
Back off the bot/ nut 1 to 2 turns than smack the end of that nut/ bolt HARD
The pry bar takes the load so you need to push down on it quite hard and it might flip when you hit the retainer.

Flywheels are on a taper so a slight movement along it axis will free it.

cxbxr.3

Threads
Ok guys here's the update the mower is back to running great, thanks to a valve adjustment lol step dad did not check them right I went back & checked them and found the intake was way to tight (zero lash) replaced valve cover gasket & spark plug and everything is A-OK thanks again