jroberts

jroberts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Husqvarna 42 in mower Model LTHI542 with a 14 hp kohler engine. it was running fine but I ran out of gas. when I restarted the engine was surging and was flooding and blowing fuel out of the carburetor. I cleaned the carb reset the float but it did not help. Today I replaced the carburetor with a new one with all new gaskets and shutoff solenoid the engine still surges and blows excess fuel out of the carburetor and occasionaly backfires which I attribute to excess fuel unless it has got out of time. any ideas ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't step on cracks in the pavement, break mirrors, walk under ladders or run over Chinamen.

Please post the full engine numbers, Kohler 14 Hp could be any one of a 1/2 dozen engines.
Check the oil level , I suspect it will be high.
When you say surging, do you mean reving up, then slowing down then reving up or do you mean firing a few times, missing a little then firing a few times like what happens when the choke is stuck on ?
Surging is caused by lean running so you can't be surging and flooding at the same time.

The engine can not suddenly go out of time unless something happens to it to make this happen, like you stall the engine, hit a brick, run into a wall on full power etc etc etc.
Just running out of fuel is a normal way to stop and I generally starve my engines off whenever I can.

Because of EPA requirement a lot of engines spit back through the carb, this is not uncommon unless it coincides with the engine missing.
A slight possibility of a stuck valve if the engine has not been cleaned each season and it was very hot when it stopped.
You can check that by taking off the rocker cover, removing the spark plug & turning the engine over by hand.
The inlet & exhaust valves are the same lengths so they should move in & out the same amount and when out they should sit at the same height.
IF you pull the blower housing off while you are doing this you can also watch the position of the magnet on the flywheel.
It should be opposite or slightly passing the legs of the coil when the piston is closest to the spark plug hole ( TDC ) and every second turn this should coenside with both of the valves being closed.