My mower is dying

rrodger9

Threads
My Bobcat ZT225 that I have had for about 10 years is starting to have hydraulic issues. The left side often won't roll until the right side is engaged and when cutting, it is a struggle to go uphill now. I have searched around and a new pump for it would run $511 and then the wheel moto is about $389. I'm not sure if there is anyone in my area that can rebuild them and I have to question whether it's wise to put that kind of money into an old mower. The problem there is that I had the heads redone about 3 years ago so the motor is strong and I put a new clutch and belts on it at the end of last season. The mower ran and cut well.

I currently don't have the funds to just go buy a used mower or I would go looking. I can get a new mower financed and I'm considering a few models. I have a 1 acre yard and it would only be used for my yard and occasionally a neighbor's yard but pretty rarely. His yard is about 2 acres. I am looking at a few models and don't want to under or over buy. I just want something in the middle that will last. I am looking at the Bobcat CRZ52 and the XRZ Pro RS. The dealer also carries Toro and has a Timecutter HD. My neighbor has a Timecutter that he got from Lowes that has a stamped deck and I am not all that impressed. My local hardware store that has been around forever has just started carrying Exmark which is a brand I have always liked but all they had in stock was either a bottom line residential zero turn or a fully decked out Lazer Z...nothing in between. Any advice would be appreciated.

dfbroxy

Threads
Before going out to get in debt for a less durable mower than you already have lets check a few things. When is the last time the fluid and filter was changed in the hydrolics. It may be the fluid is low because of a leaking hose and would be a easy fix.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you won't get anything for $ 900 so go ahead & repair or replace.
To get anything of a similar durability as your old Bobcat you will be spending at least 10 times that much.

rrodger9

Threads
I changed the hydraulic fluid and filter Thursday. I changed it every other year prior and it uses 15W-50 full synthetic . Looked for leaks and found none. I like the mower but coming up with the money to fix it is daunting...where do you suggest looking for parts since I don't want to keep doing this over again is to just do both pumps and motors at the same time. I can get a mower at just about any payment I want and can go into better classes of mower without jacking the payment up too much. I realize I will take a depreciation hit and have other dealerships where i can possibly buy a demo model or something along that line. I also have scags and toros that I can consider.

I like the mower I have. I know what it can do and know what is wrong and right on it and wouldn't mind fixing it. The repair is pretty easy but it's the up front cost that is holding me back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the pulley on the pump.
Most are on a spline and over time the chattering effect hammers the splines flat so the pulley spins the shaft until you apply a load then it slips.

The tranny makers will have parts lists and manuals available on line bt you will need the number off the tags on the trannies unless you are among the 0.01% of people who read their manual then go & write down the mower,engine & tranny numbers in their manual.
I get all my tranny stuff from Mulligans in the USA they are cheaper and a lot more helpful than any one down here in Oz.
The OEM for the tranny can direct you to their authorised repair agents ( most mower shops are not ) that are closest to you.
In most cases the tranny service agents will not want ( or need ) the mower as they just service the transmissions not mowers.
Thus you cab pull them out stick them in your boot & take ( or freight) them off for repair.

rrodger9

Threads
I will check the Pulley tomorrow and let you know. It seems to do Ok when it is cold but gets worse as the fluid warms up.They have always whined and chattered a bit here and there. It would be nice if it could be that simple. I went and looked at a used Bobcat that was the same mocel but had a 61 inch deck. It had the same issue with the left side not running near as fast as the right side...if I could cut like Nascar, I would have it made.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
20w50 should be the oil you use. The thinner oil could be causing this problem.

rrodger9

Threads
The label on the tank said 15w40 or 20w50 if mineral based and 15w50 if synthetic. Can I mix the mineral base and synthetic base? I'm not sure if I can get the system completely drained.

I will look into going to a thicker oil.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The label on the tank said 15w40 or 20w50 if mineral based and 15w50 if synthetic. Can I mix the mineral base and synthetic base? I'm not sure if I can get the system completely drained.

I will look into going to a thicker oil.

Hydro gear builds their pumps and motors both with castor oil 20w 50 oil in mind. All specs are built upon that oil.

rrodger9

Threads
I get all my tranny stuff from Mulligans in the USA they are cheaper and a lot more helpful than any one down here in Oz.

Wow...they are a lot cheaper than anything else I saw. $200 cheaper on the wheel motors and $150 cheaper on the pumps so I may just replace all of it and keep the mower. Have you had any issues with any of their parts? Just wondering since their catalogue says it's an aftermarket part

I have not yet had a complete failure...just a noticeable weakening so my concern is metal shards. Should I also replace the hoses? They seem to be in good shape...still semi-flexible and not leaking. If so is it all of the hoses or just those from the pumps to the wheel motors?

Sorry for all the questions. I have never messed with hydraulics and don't want to replace parts just to ruin them