Synthetic Oil?

NickSteel

Threads
Another synthetic question.
Briggs recommends 10w30.
Will 5w30 work as well? (I have several quarts).

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs recommends 10w30.

I always find this ironic because I keep seeing that briggs recommends 10w30, but briggs doesn't have a 10w30 oil under their name They have a 5w30 synthetic, a 15w50 synthetic, and a 30w oil but not 10w30 oil, and they always claimed that the use of milti-grade oils such as 10w30 or 5w30 non synthetic may cause increased oil consumption.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always find this ironic because I keep seeing that briggs recommends 10w30, but briggs doesn't have a 10w30 oil under their name They have a 5w30 synthetic, a 15w50 synthetic, and a 30w oil but not 10w30 oil, and they always claimed that the use of milti-grade oils such as 10w30 or 5w30 non synthetic may cause increased oil consumption.

Yes, thinner oil in a horizontal cylinder engine will increase the oil consumption more that it will do in the same engine with a vertical cylinder.
Mainly will happen during start up and when standing.
It is a lot harder to keep 5W oil on the right side of an oil seal that 10W or strait 30.

The auto industry went to very low weight oils to meet the EPA requirements of instant starts
The same regulations will eventually apply to mowers.

Southland

Threads
Briggs recommends 10w30.

On the link I posted previously, Briggs states that synthetic 5w30 is good for up to 100 degrees F. I would use it if I already had it.

jamesjamd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hughes Oil Company, Inc. Was in the petroleum industry from 1961 until 2004. We carried every brand and type of petroleum to even non-petroleum food industry lubricants. We still have a hand in the petroleum industry although we retired the company due to children and grand children too damned lazy to work for a living. lol

Point being, there is no engine created by man that requires a full synthetic lubricant. It is a good joke originally played on the British and US public that has made so much money it has carried around the entire globe.

Without going into chapter after chapter of stating and then showing why, I'll give you a one word reply just like some others.

"No".

There is nothing your engine requires to live a long comfortable life than a non ash oil such as the Shell Rotella T 15-40 which engines over 12,000 horsepower operate on daily in locomotives, huge earth moving equipment, etc. Fuel cooled engines do not place the strains on engine oils the aforementioned can and does. Only thing you'll need to be concerned with is unspent fuel contaminating your engine lubricants since fuel as well as air cools your engine.

Sorry fellas, synthetics are made to sell to ***** and you can make up your own jokes on those 5 asterics. lol

Max
Jet engines only use synthetic oil!

de3

Threads
I run amsoil small engine oil in darn near all of my outdoor power equipment with great results so far,my hrx has near 500 plus hours on it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What you put in a mower is no where near as important as when you take it out and how often you do it.
Mower oils are of course the best because they are specifically blended for air cooled mowers that get used infrequently .
Using synthetics is overkill but if that is what you want to do and it makes you feel happy the go ahead.
I like to compare it to eating.
You can eat the same food as an olympic athlete but it ain't going to make you faster running 400 yards.
OTOh it will not kill you either.

Reactions: de3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guys, a quick Bing search shows Briggs does make 10w-30, (at least a nice pic) but nothing at all as to where to buy any. Go figure.

1588297885424.png

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just me, I wouldn't run 5w30 synthetic oil in an air cooled lawnmower engine.