Stretched Clutch Cable on HRT216 SDA?

NoMoMowin

Threads
S/N MZCG6133955 KC

Bought only last year with known bad transmission. Engine is great. Replaced transmission with a new one and it worked great for a few months, then the clutch cable developed slack and I find no way to adjust the tension. One thread gives directions for doing so but my cable clamp doesn't seem to allow for ANY movement of the cable sleeve to add/remove slack. So, I've ordered a new cable, hoping that this old cable fatigued following its recent use after a long hiatus of non-use. Can't think of what else might be going on. If I manually pull on the cable with the handle engaged, enough slack is removed as to get the transmission to engage somewhat, but that's clearly not a solution. Ideas appreciated. Thanks.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
S/N MZCG6133955 KC

Bought only last year with known bad transmission. Engine is great. Replaced transmission with a new one and it worked great for a few months, then the clutch cable developed slack and I find no way to adjust the tension. One thread gives directions for doing so but my cable clamp doesn't seem to allow for ANY movement of the cable sleeve to add/remove slack. So, I've ordered a new cable, hoping that this old cable fatigued following its recent use after a long hiatus of non-use. Can't think of what else might be going on. If I manually pull on the cable with the handle engaged, enough slack is removed as to get the transmission to engage somewhat, but that's clearly not a solution. Ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Some "keeper" that secures the cable on one of the ends broke?
The cable housing is secure on both ends and the cable moves within it to engage the transmission or blades or whatever it does.

NoMoMowin

Threads
Some "keeper" that secures the cable on one of the ends broke?
The cable housing is secure on both ends and the cable moves within it to engage the transmission or blades or whatever it does.

No, those are fine. But, closer inspection reveals a circumferential separation in the cable SHEATH, exposing the control cable itself as well as the four other cables (not normally visible) which are inside the WALLS of the sheath. The gap in the sheath is only about 1/8", but that can't be right. Don't know if that could explain my problem. I ordered and received what was supposed to be a replacement cable, only to find that it can't be fitted into the handlebar cable retainer. Requires purchase of the entire throttle lever, throttle cable, and transmission cable. So, I'll hope that works. I'd read somewhere that it was possible to split the handlebar clutch cable retainer lengthwise and pry it open enough to allow the cable sheath to be popped in. Might try that first. A $10 fix vs a $35 fix. Newer models are much simpler for cable replacement.