Craftsman mower-21hp-540cc briggs and stratton model 917-289223

Chas1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman mower-21hp-540cc briggs and stratton model 917-289223
I recently changed oil and filter on my daughters riding mower. The owners manual states oil capacity w/filter 56oz and without filter 48oz. Since I changed oil filter I thought it would take 56oz so I put in 1 full quart 32oz and decided to check dipstick and it's showing the oil to be about and inch over the full mark. I then decided to measure the oil that drained out and it was about 18oz. Any thoughts as to what's going on ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You didn't get all of the oil out in the first place.
The sump is large flat shallow shape so a slight slope has a big difference. It is around 10" x 12" x 1.75"
And generally you put the mower on a nice flat floor, but if the front left tyre is lower pressure than the right you will not get it all out.
In the shop I run the left tyres on a piece of 2x4, pump the oil out go do something else for 10 minutes come & pump again the repeat a third time.

Chas1

Forum Newbie
Threads
You didn't get all of the oil out in the first place.
The sump is large flat shallow shape so a slight slope has a big difference. It is around 10" x 12" x 1.75"
And generally you put the mower on a nice flat floor, but if the front left tyre is lower pressure than the right you will not get it all out.
In the shop I run the left tyres on a piece of 2x4, pump the oil out go do something else for 10 minutes come & pump again the repeat a third time.

I was kind of suspicious that it might need to be tilted but, you would think the manufacturer would recommend running the left tires up onto something...instead it says nothing about that. Live and learn. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.