Kubota zero turn ZG222

Ken Pelham

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks in advance for your help
I have a Kubota Zero turn ZG222A. After 30 to 45 minutes of cutting it looses power, backfires, and will stop running. I have cleaned the air filter. I have drained the Carb and found no water or trash, I removed the bole and element and found no water or trash in bole and element was clean. After the mower sets for a few hours It will start and run for 30 to 45 minutes and the same will happen again,,,

Thanks Ken

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks in advance for your help
I have a Kubota Zero turn ZG222A. After 30 to 45 minutes of cutting it looses power, backfires, and will stop running. I have cleaned the air filter. I have drained the Carb and found no water or trash, I removed the bole and element and found no water or trash in bole and element was clean. After the mower sets for a few hours It will start and run for 30 to 45 minutes and the same will happen again,,,

Thanks Ken

Does the engine seem to be very hot?
Vapor locked?...which I know little about.

What type of oil in it...can you put synthetic oil in it...you would have to check the oil level regularly.
It might run cooler.

Blow off all cooling fins and check for good air flow around engine.

maybe someone will jump in about vapor lock or other ideas.

Ken Pelham

Forum Newbie
Threads
shiftsuper175607
The engine does not seem to be hotter than normal when this occurs, there is no smoking. I use Pennsoil 30 weight oil which was changed with the filter 3 moths ago. I'll have to check on using a synthetic oil in it. I have made sure the screen and engine fins are clean, As for vapor lock, I don't know ? This is the third season with this mower and first problem I have had.
Thanks
Ken

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens, carefully open the gas cap with your eye next to the cap. You are listening for a rush of air going into the tank. If you hear air going into the tank, your cap is not venting properly. After waiting two minutes put the cap back on and try starting the unit. If the unit starts and runs, continue cutting and if it stalls again repeat. If the unit starts again, you will be going to get a new cap. Also, look to see if the fuel filter has fuel in it when it stalls. No fuel in the filter could also be caused by a faulty cap. If you report back, please give us the engine numbers if you can find them.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since it takes awhile for the problem to crop up, I suspect the ignition system.

Electronics don't like heat.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since it takes awhile for the problem to crop up, I suspect the ignition system.

Electronics don't like heat.

I suspect everything till it is eliminated
This is why my std response to one of these is to fit an inline spark tester to each plug , and grab a can of carb cleaner or starter fluid or even a wash bottle with some fuel in it
when the engine dies you check the testers for flashing then give it a squirt of carb cleaner down the carb.
Thus you will have then eliminated 1/2 of the possibilities.

Lots of things can come in after a lapsed time. like a plug forming in the tank outlet or a vacuum lock as pre Rivits response or a battery running down and closing the fuel solenoid, or a partial blockage in the exhaust system
And none of the above are heat related.

Ken Pelham

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivits
I started cutting grass with a 1/2 tank fuel where the past time I have had this problem I started with a full tank. After an Hour and Fifteen minutes of cutting tall and heavy grass the problem occurred again. When I removed the gas cap I didn't here the intake of air a vacuum would create. I waited about ten minutes and restarted the mower, at first it ran a little ruff 2-3 min then leveled off and ran fine. I continued cutting for another 45 minutes with no problem. I believe the length of time for the problem to occur may have had to do with the fuel tank not being full if the fuel cap is the problem. Engine info KGZ770 22 HP, EG373-87131, Cross Flow OHV. The cutting I did today was extra tall and damp.

bertsmobile
cpurvis
Thanks for your help
ken

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect you may have a broken fuel line in the tank, which will show up when the fuel is low. Have got time tonight, but I’ll try to look up your unit tomorrow at work and see what kind of job it is to replace that line.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can confirm Rivits diagnosis by using a substitute fuel tank.
Put some line & a tap on another tank and when the mower starts to play up hook up the alternative tank as quick as you can .
If the problem goes away then Rivits is right and it is a fuel supply problem.
If the problem persists then it is a different problem.
Most mower repair shops will have boxes foll of old fuel tanks.
Only need about 1/2 gallon or better as it is just a test.