Self propelled or not???

mfholly

Forum Newbie
Threads
We are looking to buy an electric lawn mower soon and are debating self propelled or not? It's a big jump in price so we are wondering if it is necessary. Our lawn is flat but I really need self propel for the gas mower. Just wondering if it is as necessary with the electric mowers. It seems they are lighter and move better. Thanks mfholly

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion, I don’t think you need self-propelled electric mower. As you said, they are lighter and the self-propelled will just eat up your available power.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And larger diameter wheels do make a difference when pushing. But remember batteries have a limited life depending on quality and number of recharges, and expensive to replace.

Threads
Mfholly If you are using a battery mower then you should not need a self propelled...... You will be cutting a pretty well manicured lawn no bigger than 2,000 sq. ft. I would think............

I Have no idea on the battery model self propelled versions myself......... Just my opinion >>>

broo

Threads
In my case, my mower is not self-propelled. I use it to trim places my riding mower can't reach, so a lot of forward-reverse which would be annoying if I had that feature.

If however you have a very simple area to take care of, self propelled would help. The last one I had (Lawn Boy) with this feature I never used it because it was way too slow.

Propelling the mower it a bit of electrical energy waste. Better save that power for the cutting blade and get some exercise pushing the mower.

Johnkim

Threads
I'm planning to buy a self-propelled mower because it is ideal for small to average lawn and would require less maintenance as well. However, I'm considering the budget as well.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Johnkim- Suggest you read as many reviews of the model you are considering. I was thinking of one for the nooks my Z can't get into. But the poor reviews have changed my mind.

Thinking I'm better off keeping my 12 year old MTD with an American built Briggs flathead, that has yet to give me any grief.