need help with my v twin 16 hp

slaghead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the advice.Jump starting did not help.I put a meter to the battery,12.3 volts was the reading.Removed the starter,and put power to it,and it ran like a champ.And by the way my solution for removing the seemingly impossible right starter bolt was useing a metric Allen wrench to fit the torx head bolt.Removing the spark plugs did not improve the stiffness turning the engine.cleaned all my connections,still no luck

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the advice.Jump starting did not help.I put a meter to the battery,12.3 volts was the reading.Removed the starter,and put power to it,and it ran like a champ.And by the way my solution for removing the seemingly impossible right starter bolt was useing a metric Allen wrench to fit the torx head bolt.Removing the spark plugs did not improve the stiffness turning the engine.cleaned all my connections,still no luck

If the engine will not turn with the spark plugs out...my opinion is that there is catastrophic failure within the engine.
Take drive belt off to take any load it is putting on the engine.
Engine should turn with a wrench on pulley nut...not free spinning but with out hard effort.

do others agree?
What can he do to verify or eliminate major problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine will not turn with the spark plugs out...my opinion is that there is catastrophic failure within the engine.
Take drive belt off to take any load it is putting on the engine.
Engine should turn with a wrench on pulley nut...not free spinning but with out hard effort.

do others agree?
What can he do to verify or eliminate major problem?

Nope, you are right, if you can not turn over the engine with the palm of you hand on the finger guard when the plugs ore out and the belts are off then the engine is siezed and requires a strip down.
Could be nothing worse than a pushrod fallen off and getting jambed into the cam or a major failure.

slaghead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine is hard to turn with a breaker bar ??????? Hmmmm seems like a hydro lock or a semi froze engine.....

Pull the plugs and then try to turn it over........ If not then try the bar again.... If still hard you got a froze engine on your hands.... Mon Ami ..

Let us know something ~!~!

Thanks for the advice Boudreaux,I've decided to take it to be repaired.I'm not tare the engine down guy.I'll let everyone know in a couple of weeks what they find

slaghead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the delay.My tractor was in the shop for a while.The problem was the electric clutch bearings were bad and causing the engine to seize up.thus the starter would not turn the engine over.Very expensive part.The electric clutch was replaced. $345.00 plus labor came to $425.00. Runs like a champ.Thanks for all the advice.

Luffydog

Threads
Thank you for the update and letting us know what the problem was and the fix. Glad to hear you are up and running again:thumbsup: yes the clutch is costly but not as bad as a new engine or a new mower itself in some cases its close. Glad to see your going like I said and thanks for the feedback.